Checkmate asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How to stop dog attacks?

I take my dog running around the neighborhood and hiking and both me and him have been attacked several times in the last year. One incident a pit bull bit my thigh and another incident a golden lab but my shins and tried to maul me. My dog has also been attacked by a lot of neighborhood dogs. I confronted one of the owners and he just became infuriated and told me to never go by his house again. Literally nobody keeps their canines on leashes and there have been lots of attacks to me, my pet and neighborhood children in my area. What can I do to help stop this? I want to be able to walk and run in peace

• Ocimom

Carry pepper spray and USE it!

It depends on the local laws in your area.  In my area, dogs must be on a leash unless they are in a fenced-in yard.  Bring a camera or use the camera in your cell phone to document any bites that you get.  Then call local law enforcement and hit the animal's owner with a civil damages suit.  They will either learn to control the animal or will get rid of it, one or the other.

• patty

do u have a car?Maybe drive to a safe area and walk there with your dog

If there is no complaint, there won't be an investigation. Complain to Animal Control. Take pictures of all these dogs to show proof you are right.

There is nothing we can do, you have to call Animal Control & complain. This needs to be drawn to their attention.

Report this troll

• Bort

There are laws that pertain to animals being under control. I don't know of anywhere that doesn't have such laws. Call the police or 911 when you're attacked by any animal without provoking the animal and let them handle it. All pets, by law, need to have an identification tag. There are some areas that have an exception but in most areas I've been in laws require a dog to be leashed unless they are in a completely fenced in area. Dog's are not legally allowed to roam free by them selves. Leash laws apply to service animals, too.

Owners are responsible for their pets behavior.

• I have the same problem with pit bulls getting loose in my neighborhood and wild coyotes lurking around, so do what I do. My dog is little, so it's my job to protect his little a s s. When I take him for a walk, I carry a metal baseball bat with me. One power swing of the bat with precision will send those predators on their way whimpering with their tails between their legs.

• Anton

Pepper spray. Or call animal control

If you can't afford to sue them, go running in a different neighborhood or at a dog park.

• Flint1 month agoReport

You wanna get snippy with me? How about you take that energy and take them to court instead? If you can afford a vet bill you can afford a lawyer. :)