How long can a Dodge Charger last?

I’m buying a 2016  Dodge Charger with 91,000 for about 11k. Is that an okay decision? 

Consider the FACT  that the average mileage on a 4 year old car is about 40,000 miles (+/- 10,000).  You are buying one with DOUBLE the miles.  I don't know the usual cost for that year and make of car in your area (you should know by doing price comparisons reading the classifieds of your local newspapers to get a "general idea on the average cost for that car" as it is asked by private sellers.  Private sellers have no overhead, so no salesmen to pay commission to, and they check the lot prices to stick a price on their car that is similar to the lots as they do not have the "Location, Location,Location" to have people come around and see it.  So they may shave a few hundred off to make the car price more enticing.

.  Many car lot dealers go to private sales to check out those cars and decide if they want it for their lot.(because they can STUFF ON ANOTHER $8K or more on what they paid the private party for the car.- just because they have the "CAR LOT AND LOCATION"  for many car shoppers.

If you did your research you should know what the mileage should be on the car for that price.  I am betting you can find the same car on a different lot with much less lower mileage.

(it is like a Woman....there are those that have never been with a man (so they are tight).  And there are those that have been with each football team that comes into town (so really sloppy and saggy and worn out)   A lot of miles means worn out.  I don't care what oil was used.  It ain't tight...like a newish motor.

It has been used as a Taxi or delivery vehicle to stuff on that many miles.  Usually most people drive their car to work...park for 8 hours and then drive home and park it for 14hours(giving generous 2 hours for driving) If I did the math right that is about 50 miles to work and 50 home.  MOST PEOPLE LIVE CLOSER TO THE JOB THAN THAT.(as that is about $20/day in just gas), or 100/wk or 5200/yr.  That is money burned.  Logically it would be cheaper to rent a place that is closer to the job than driving that much.  I am not including tires, oil changes, engine maintenance., insurance.  Those costs are on TOP OF THAT.

Compare any car of the same year and you will find much lower mileage than what you are looking at.  You got time.  That car is not such a HOT DEAL that it is going to be snapped up.  If it is, then they made more than one, so maybe next time?

It is an OK decision to the SELLER.   IMHO

• Bort

I would be very reluctant buying a 4 year old sports car with 91k miles on it regardless of it's price and especially if it was being sold "as is" with no warranty on the drive train and suspension parts. 91k is really high mileage for a car that's barely 4 years old. That means it was driven very often and it's a sports car so it may have been driven really hard. Being driven hard and often enough to put that many miles on a car in that short of time? That's something to really think about that would make me very reluctant to buy that specific car.

Whoever previously owned it had it as a toy car mostly. They weren't a collector who appreciated it for what it is like some car people do. If it was owned by someone that cared about it's life span it would have a lot less miles on it because they wouldn't have driven it every where all of the time and they wouldn't have driven it hard very often like someone who has it as a status or toy would (and did).

91k miles isn't super high miles but for a sports car that young....that makes me nervous as to it's overall health.

The lowest fair market value for a 2016 Charger SE sedan (cheapest one) is between 14 and $17k in good condition with an average amount of miles which for that age of a car is beween 35 and 60k miles. Just by the miles on this specific car you're asking about it's been beaten to hell, driven extremely often for long distances.

If it's a hellcat or one of the "upgrade" models at that price with those miles...hell no don't buy that car. Something's up if it's a hellcat or one of the upper level chargers with that high of miles and that low of price. The cat still has a market value of over $40k in good condition.

https://www.kbb.com/dodge/charger/2016/se-sedan-4d...

• Sum1 month agoReport

fam, its a v6, its a sedan, and it doesn't come as a manual. Its not a sports car

• Ron

With any luck it will last you until the summer

Good price.  Read the maintenance schedule and plan your maintenance.  Good luck.

The price is reasonable for the car, if it is in descent shape.  The rest depends on your personal economics.

I just looked at the ad and they only want $10,000

• audrey

Check your insurance rates with your company first. Then have a good reliable mechanic check it over very thoroughly. If both things are acceptable to you, go for it. Enjoy!

• JetDoc

It's OK by me. I don't care one way or another.

• .

Most new cars can last up to 200,000 miles if you do the proper maintenance.  Whether the price is good, depends on comparison shopping.

Also, if you're a young guy, it's not wise to buy a sports car with high mileage.  The insurance rates will be very high.

It will likely last longer than our atmosphere.

It's OK with me, I don't have to live with it.