Can my employer simply stop scheduling me?

i work for walmart

since two months

i work a lot in christmas time

but now all the hours are low.

i watch my schedule zero hour now

w*tf this is legal?

no union 

unemployment or welfare

I'm in Canada, Quebec

illegal dismissal

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

Yes it's legal. They are not required to give you ANY hours. You might be able to get unemployment.

• Unfortunately employers can do this. I've been there but didn't work for wal mart. I went for weeks with out having any hours because some times business in the store was very slow. Unless you've been fired, you're not fired. After the holidays retail slows down. You may not be fired, but when there's not enough hours to go around you're not going to get hours. Maybe you should look for a second job. I've known people in retail that have had 2-3 other jobs to help support their expenses. 

I'm in Ontario, Canada by the way.

Yes. It's very common to hire workers for the holidays and not give them hours year-round.

yes, it is legal,

If I were u I would go and file for unemployment compensation, Now however if they do call you in to work and you tell them no or don't call them back they can deny your unemployment for that week.

• Bort

Yes it's completely legal. There's no law that forces employers to guarantee a cetrain amount of hours. The hours employees are assigned is determined by demand. Wal-mart is busy during the christmas time of year. They're barely half as busy as they are at that time of year for the rest of the year.

If you're a full time employee you can attempt filing to collect unemployment particially to try and keep your income flowing because your hours are cut or you can look for another job.

What I would do, first, is talk to the manger and ask for more hours before doing anything else.

Stores like Wal-Mart do hire people just for seasonal help which is what might be going on here. If you were only hired for seasonal help meaning you were hired just to work there to help over the holiday season that's all you should have planned on being there for. The holiday season is over so you're not needed any more. Move on, get a different job if they won't give you more hours when you ask for more hours.

Walmart is not unionized. You have no guarantee of a job. You have no guarantee of hours at a job.

That's how retail jobs work....leading up to Christmas is their busy time.

Start looking for a new job😉

• JetDoc

Pretty much ALL retail companies cut back on employee hours after Christmas because customer demand is lower. There is no law that says WalMart or any other retailer MUST hire you and give you 40 hours a week.

If you want a better paycheck, find a better job!

• JetDoc

Retail is a dead end job, little Snowflake!  Get an education! LEARN how to do something worth while that will bring a better income and a better life!  Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Mason, Mechanic...  ALL of these jobs can earn more than a stupid job stocking shelves for WalMart!

You'll have to look at your contract, is there hours on it guaranteed or just a short amount of hours? Big companies like that usually put a short amount of hours on just so they can't be accused of doing zero hours contracts and getting bad press for it but it might as well be zero hours. I wouldn't work for them again, been there done that. If it's a no hour contract they can just leave you off.

• Rick B

Yes. Unless you have a contract stating otherwise.