Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

If someone hits my car with their car, can I shoot them in self defense?

In this situation, my life felt threatened in this car accident because of my bodily harm during the impact.

You can, but you would most likely get arrested because of their lack of intent to kill you.

Well no, as that is not self defense, that is murder.

• Bruce

I suppose if they continue to ram you again and again you could make an argument, but if they only hit you once, your right to self defense stops as soon as the threat stops. 

No one would buy that reasoning. Not police, prosecutors or judges.

During the impact, not after the impact. During the impact, you didn't have enough time to pull a weapon and aim it and fire it. You shooting would be a reaction to the accident and a criminal one, showing intent. Premeditated.

Retaliation is NEVER legally self defense. Once that action you claim you are defending against has stopped, further action IS NOT defense. In the case of a crash, as soon as the impact occurs, there is nothing to defend against.

No. It's like if someone drops their gun by accident, it goes off, the bullet comes though your walls, kills your mother in law, you have no right to go over and shoot the gun owner.

You would have to prove it was self defense and they were trying to purposely harm you

Hypothetically yes but it’s an inhuman act and you’d probably be charged with murder by the state. 

Go ahead, dawg!