For teachers out there, was it extreme for a district I applied for to contact the superintendent of the district I'm currently teaching?

I'm under contract and applied in another district for a teaching position. I am working in an urban district and I wanted to make a transition to a suburban district. I was able to get an interview in a district with a good reputation. I did my demo lesson and everyone was impressed with my work. They told me that they needed to contact my current supervisor and I told them that I would like to speak to her first since I wanted her to hear it from me first then being surprised by a phone call. They contacted my supervisor, and all references I provided. Even teachers where I did my student teaching. They said everyone provided great references and they wanted to offer me a job. I have an interview with human resources next week but I'm dissapointed because I just found out today that they contacted the superintendent of school of my current district. I am applying for a teaching position. Was that even nessesary? I understand if I was trying to be an administrator, but why would they contact the superintendent of schools? I believe it was extreme and unnecessary to contact the higher position in my current district. I haven't even signed a contract and the entire administrative officer knows I'm leaving. I applied and I wanted to work there but it is not confirmed until I signed the contract, plus I want to make sure they offer me a good salary. I'm very dissapointed at this. I do believe it was very extreme for them to contact the superintendent. What do you think?

• Bort

I think they were just being thorough. I don't see a problem with it. What I see is possible opportunity. The both of them might begin to compete with each other. Where you currently work might possibly offer you a raise or better benefits, some kind of initiative to stay. The one you applied at and impressed might counter that if you agree to stay and offer you more.

Then again it could turn in to a not so good situation with the current one. They might terminate you if the contract allows them to. If you breached your contract by applying at another district that might be legal issues or at some sort of action against you they can pull. Hopefully not...but they may be possible outcomes.

It sounds like you are staying in the same area.

It's very likely that they talk to each other all the time

You should expect to be vetted by personal contacts, just like in any other industry.