Why does my filtered water suddenly taste funny?

I've had a Pür water pitcher with the built in filter for about 3 years now. We changed the filter recently like within the last month, and I noticed yesterday and today it has a strong smell and taste, almost like plastic. I'm pregnant and this smell is nauseating to me so I've tried regular tap water and it tastes fine, so I know it isn't the pipes in our apartment. Could it be a bad filter? I'm afraid my children and I are consuming harmful chemicals, it tastes so industrial.

Favorite Answer

Though I agree with "Y's" assessment, my wife and I used a PURE pitcher for years and used only the Walmart Brand filters and saw no difference. 

Being pregnant, however may be the clue here.  Your body goes through changes daily and the smell is just overwhelming right now.  Those filters do put off a smell from time to time.  Try a new filter, a different brand filter or maybe even buy a couple of gallons of Spring Water or 'Drinking' water until this trimester passes.  

• alexis

I see, thank you for the additional tips! 

• alexis

Just thought that even though I picked a best answer, I should add that the culprit of the water tasting funny was a bunch of forgotten about mushrooms as a couple of days later the entire fridge started smelling funny. I really hate that a woman can't be pregnant without everyone thinking everything she experiences is in her head and because of the pregnancy. Especially with all of these answers coming from men. Pregnancy isn't "rocket science" either, and pregnancy doesn't make us hallucinate. As I said, I've had this pitcher since my last pregnancy and because I still breastfeed, my smelling "powers" never went away yet everyone still blamed it on my pregnancy. If I listened to you all, I would've not trusted my nose, thrown out a good filter, and would have taken longer to find the mushrooms. Sometimes women ARE right about something. Shocker.

• Marvinator

You'e absolutely right, sorry bout that! 

• Droopy

Might want to look into new filter.  Could be a bad filter. I hear lot of good things about zero water filters.  Course being pregnant could be part of it to.   Smells tastes are heighten an change.  I know my wife couldn't eat scrambled eggs most of her pregnancy the smell made her sick.  

Congrats on the baby an love it an enjoy because what they say is true they grow up fast.

• alexis

Thank you! I already have twin toddlers and boy does it!

• y

So, change the filter again. Yes, there are knockoffs and cheaper replacements that are sold, that are not up to snuff.

It could simply be your pregnancy making you particularly sensitive to smells and tastes. What do your spouse and kids think about it?  If they think it's fine it probably is you.  In that case use the water from the tap yourself and let the others carry on with the pitcher.

• alexis

We had gotten the pitcher when I was pregnant the first time though, and I've been breastfeeding this whole time so I've had the pregnancy "smelling ability", as it doesn't go away typically until one stops breastfeeding. My twins don't talk yet and fiance drinks tap.

Change the filter again.

maybe you should get it checked out

• Snezzy

This is a standard "pearl" answer, but should say rnaybe (r n a y b e) instead of maybe.

maybe you should get it checked out

If tap water tastes fine and the filtered water does not, then the problem is with the water filter.  It ain't rocket science.  Try another filter.

• alexis

Clearly. I'm wondering what the problem could be. Hence why I asked "why" and not "how". So glad 3 geniuses answered for me. Let a pregnant woman and children drink chemicals and wonder why the next generation is so dumb.