1996 honda accord auto flywheel teeth broken ?

Hello so to start I have a 1996 honda accord automatic trans V6 and it has about 195k miles and I just got a new starter in a little less than two weeks ago and the first few days it started up quite nice  a week after it started taking several cranks to start the vehicle but after it starts no issues while driving and I drive about 30 mins one way to work this week its been bouncing between starting after just a few cranks or 30 cranks very sporadic.. I called the mechanic like a couple days ago and he says the flywheel teeth are broken and that I have to crank and hold to spin starter and then crank again that works for the most part  but I want to avoid this problem all together, what is the issue here any suggestions??? My battery is holding a complete charge jumping didn't seem to do anything since battery holds a charge, furthermore the solenoids seem to have been tested in good conditions and the starter is new.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The starter was not fitted correctly. This will cause the flywheel teeth to brake off.

Solution, have a new flywheel fitted. Also, do not go to the same car repairer.

Source(s): Many years of personal experience.
  • 1 month ago

Your slang makes it unclear what's happening. If the starter doesn't mesh with the flywheel, you need a new flywheel- actually a flex plate. There is no need, or anything to be gained by jump starting. If you want to minimize the number of starting attempts the the starter doesn't turn the engine, turn the engine by hand just a little bit, but never turn it backwards and make sure the switch it off while you turn by hand. Then try the key again.

• Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

A good mechanic or machine shop can fit a new starter ring gear. This may be an engine out job depending on the car. Or you could trade it in. A dealer can get the work done for half the money it would cost you.

• 1 month ago

To avoid it altogether? Replace the flywheel.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Umm, yeah...You need to replace the flywheel & starter. You'll have to lower the trans. The starter was not aligned with the flywheel. A new starter will come with shims.

• 1 month ago

Do you hear the screech of the starter gear grinding against worn teeth on the flywheel/flex plate gear?

You make it sound more like there is a delay in the starter actually working and engaging the flywheel to spin the motor. If the starter doesn't work until messing with the key a bunch of ties I'r replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Your mechanic isn't on the ball.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the ring gear (flywheel) is part of the transmission torque converter so if you have broken teeth on the ring gear the torque converter will have to be replaced since the ring gear is welded to the torque converter so it will be a expensive repair. find local shop at ATRA.COM for more help

Source(s): transmission man
  • 1 month ago

Does it make a nasty screeching or grinding noise when it's playing up?  That's most likely mechanical damage, either to the starter teeth or the flywheel teeth.  Usually comes of installing the wrong starter, whose teeth don't mesh properly with the flywheel, or installing it wrongly.  Can't tell you which from here, but the mechanic may well be right.

When this happens, sometimes the teeth will mesh properly and the starter works as it should.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Replace the main relay.  Hondas of that vintage had main relay failures.  You can also spray starting fluid on the intake or a vacuum line.  If the car starts right away, there is a fuel pressure or a fuel injector issue.

No luck, it might be time to sell the vehicle.  Given the age of your car and the cost of replacing the flywheel, car is not worth fixing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.