Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

can dogs be racist?

• Bec
    Favorite Answer

Racism is a human concept. Dogs can be more or less tolerant of certain people based on experiences or their looks (my dog hated people with hats as a puppy. My aunties dog hates cyclists, but only if she is in the car).

I know a horse who hates grey horses and will go out of his way to attack them. We jokingly call him racist but it's not the concept of racism that humans have...and in reality he is a grouch and will try to bite you if you go near his girth and would kick any horse that gets in his space...just more likely to aim for the grey ones

• MM1 month agoReport

I'm pretty sure my cat is racist towards all oranges cats. 

Yes. My dog doesn’t like people with a certain color. 

No Dogs can just  tell good people form evil, or bad people. 

• ron h

Dogs react to what they've seen and what's happened to them. Yes, there are dogs who don't like / fear black people they've never seen.  I've never known why.   Most of us have seen dogs who dislike or fear men they've never seen. In the case of men, the presumption has been that at some time in the dog's life one or more men treated the dog badly. I've always believed that to dogs, all men smell like testosterone.  There MAY be a smell to black people that humans can't smell that's the same as some black man who was part of some unpleasant incident.

• Trisha

They can be racist towards other dogs but not towards humans.

Dogs can be racist yes. I know from experience. And not necessarily only if trained that way, like with children. 

• Aquarius 1011

A cousin's dog, a pit bull terrier, would attack white people, even although the cousin and family was white, but wouldn't attack black people.  

nope they cant...racism is an entirely human concept

I wouldn’t exactly call dogs racist, there are humans they don’t like, doesn’t matter their race, religion, beliefs religion or their financial status, they either like, dislike or just tolerate a person.

As far as other species be it horse, cow, cat or whatever the same will pretty much go.

Much depends on the dog’s socialization and what they are used to.  For instance take an inner city dog that has never run in an open field or has seen anything aside from pocket Pets, dogs, cats and fish.  Turn them loose on a farm, show them Cows, steers, horses etc and some dogs freak out while others just ignore the strange animals and cling to their humans.

On the other hand take a farm dog that’s used to running free wherever it wants to, it knows tractors, combine

and other farm vehicles, the family car and that’s about it.  

Set the same dog in the big city with everything covered in tar, concrete or buildings, non stop traffic, city noises of big machines running, engines reving, industrial pollution both Water and air and the fast traffic that appears never ending, the dogs often get confused, they stress and some even panic, would you call them snobs or racist because they only like a certain type of life with a certain type of humans or would it be better to refer to it as culture shock.

With all the dogs I have ever worked with I never had any hate white people, blacks, native or otherwise. Now if your talking about  drug addicts that are so high they stagger and mumble to themselves  strange or drunks that stagger in and out of traffic, it can be unsettling to a dog because they can smell the chemical change in people, they lash out, have strange often jerky movements and instability making the doge wary of their actions, but it is because of the strange movements and odors that make the doge distrustful and not wanting to be near the dog.

• patty

I had a black dog once and he never played with white dogs.

I saw my friends dog that was racist to black people he would try and attack them but his family wasn’t even racist

• Aquarius 1011

I've also seen that. A cousin's dog, a pit bull terrier, would attack white people, even although the cousin and family was white, but wouldn't attack black people.