Why is poverty in Australia?

I came to Australia from Japan for half a year.

While living here, I have seen many people spending a day on the street and begging.

I want to ask what Australians think of the poverty.

So, I posted here.

I'm sorry for my poor English, but I want to hear everyone's opinion.

Thank you.

I used to work in the Australian Department of Human Services. I've been exposed to the human face of poverty.

Poverty can have several causes. Under-employment, where people are unable to obtain full-time employment and have to rely on casual employment and government benefits. Lack of educational qualifications, preventing people from obtaining a job with a reasonable rate of pay. The high price of housing in Australia - if you have an unskilled job, you won't have much money left after paying your rent. Unexpected health costs - it's not uncommon for people to become homeless after developing an illness, and losing their job. Older Australians who missed out on compulsory superannuation. A gambling addiction. Domestic violence forcing people out of their homes. Disabilities preventing people from obtaining employment. The sudden death of a spouse. Sometimes it's just job snobbery too - people may think a job is beneath them!

Australia may be the richest country in the world, per capita, but in a capitalist society, where the "only the strong survive," you have poverty as well. We're all only a payslip away from poverty.

China   sent their  cheap  imports in  who in  turn  destroyed  our  businesses and  jobs and industries   after  the businesses  went  broke  China  bought them  up  then  bought up  properties  with offers  the owners  could not  refuse, they  then  bought up  our infrastructure and  assets  and even  crown land   where  are now  native  wild life  are  suffering  and then  put the rents  through  the  roof.So  you have  people  who cannot get  jobs because there isn't any and even if they do  have a  job  cannot pay the rent  and the cost of  living is unaffordable  lets not  forget  China has been invading  us  by  the thousands   weekly thanks to  Malcolm Turnbulls  10 year visas  he  gave them

• Aussie Battler

Basically the locals bought cheap imports thus destroying local industries and then sold properties to the Chinese ( with offers that could be refused ) and then let the Chinese in. So you have a population that had it all and sold it out for a few dollars. 

Because some people vote for the Labor

party .

Labor

want

everyone to be

equaly

poor .

• arther

Did you notice they were all drug addicts that were begging for money?

• Or smokers and Drinkers $40 a packet  in Australia  = they are not poor + $55 a slab for beer

In Australia the economy is number one. 

we are a welfare state no one lives in Poverty

people in Australia scream Poverty when they cannot afford the $40 for another packet of cigaretts

A baby ate my dingo.

Like many other countries, the government in Australia has priorities. Looking after homeless/disadvantaged people isn't one of them.