My sister who is a British Citizen working and living in Ireland, wants her father to visit her. Which visa type is appropriate? Thanks?

She is confused whether to use her free EU movements right to apply for a visitor visa based on


 laws for her father or not. Also will Brexit affect the application after January 31.  


Answers seem confusing. Here is more information. My Father is a non-


citizen from Nigeria. Daughter has been working and living in the Republic of Ireland. My question is, should my father apply for touris

t visa based on

EU free movement laws as a family member (dependent) to his daughter who has been exericising her EU free movement rights to live and work in Ireland.  OR apply for tourist visa based on Irish immigration law. Thanks

9 Answers

  • 1 year ago

    He's visiting as a tourist - so he gets a tourist visa to Ireland (assuming his citizenship requires him to do so).

    She can't sponsor a parent for a residency visa.

    Brexit makes no difference to anything here.

  • 1 year ago

    Britain & Ireland have a treaty arrangement long-long predating formation of EU. Citizens of UK & of Ireland have free movement between the two. Brexit is irrelevant for UK & Irish citizens traveling, working, residing in either country.

    So what's the father's citizenship? Apparently not Ireland or UK. If he needs a visa to enter Ireland, HE must apply for his own visa on his own merits. NOBODY can ever apply for someone else's visa, except parents applying for their minor child's visa to accompany the parents (or employers apply for their employee's employment visas). The daughter cannot apply for the father's visa.

    IF the father is a citizen of an EU-member country, he wouldn't need a visa since EU rules will still apply for Ireland (Eire, not N. Ireland).

  • 1 year ago

    Her father's visa has NOTHING to do with your sister.  If dad wants to visit on a holiday, then dad needs to apply for any tourist visas he might require.    SHE does NOT apply for it for him

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    If her father wishes to visit RO Ireland and if he requires a visitors visa to do so  then HE needs to apply for it........ not sure why your nationality has anything to do with him or an Irish visitors visa  he needs or not and the EU laws do not allow people to circumvent visitors visas in any EU country...after the UK leave the EU ROI is still part of the EU so that makes no difference at all either, same as now

    If her father is a British citizen then he doesn't require a visa to visit Ireland, ROI/UK have free travel movement to visit, live. work, study for citizens long before the EU ever came into being and that continues as it is a totally separate agreement from the EU

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    You have to say the nationality of her father. 

  • 1 year ago

    Long before we were both EU members, the UK and Republic of Ireland established a Common Travel Area.

    That means UK and Irish citizens have complete freedom to live and work in each other’s countries, and to be able to use each other’s education, social welfare, healthcare and also to register to vote if they are permanently domiciled. They can also join each other’s military services and civil services exactly as if they were citizens.

    There are currently no proposals to change that after the UK leaves the EU at the end of this month.

    So if your sister’s father is a British Citizen he needs no visa of any kind. If he travels there by ferry from the UK he also needs no passport.

    In addition, if he is not a British Citizen but is a citizen of any other EU country then again he has nearly all the same rights and entitlements. But EU citizens are not able to vote in local or general elections and cannot usually serve in the armed forces of the country they’re living in.

  • 1 year ago

    Ireland has always been treated as a special case even before the UK joined the EU - as it is the only foreign country the UK has a land border with. At the moment you will not need to show a passport (and therefore not need a visa either) to cross the border, although that shouldn't be completely relied upon, as these things may change at very short notice.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Why on earth did you not say where he is living, and which part of Ireland ?

  • Satan
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    A couple of things you've not mentioned;

    Where is her father coming from?

    Which part of Ireland is she working in? Northern Ireland or Eire?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.