Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My Dad insults that I take medication for emotional issues. How do I avoid this or show him it is making me furious?

He is ignorant as dirt. 

Favorite Answer

Sounds like he needs them too. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about ignorant people, and especially not ignorant people who happen to be family.

talk to your therapist about it

Your dad has issues of his own. Ignore his idiocy.

Apparently you are just as mean as he is to call him ignorant.  He isn't and neither are you.  He just doesn't believe in giving children psychoactive drugs and like you, is entitled to his opinion.  Just like everyone else in the world who has a differing opinion than your own, you have to deal with it.  One way is to say the phrase "lets agree to disagree".  The bottom line is that you don't have the power to make Dad into the person you want him to be, but you do have the power to make yourself into someone who can deal with other people's differing opinions.

• Well at least you know what's causing your emotional issues.  Address them and you won't need to keep taking the medication.

You shouldn't even consider showing him it makes you furious because that can't turn out well for you. Best to discuss reasonably with him or through an intermediary.