how did you celebrate your coming of age?

in japan it's at 20 years of age, and there's a celebration. I remember my mum purchasing me multiple clothings, a cake, and more than six videogames and a new computer. How is it in America? I'm 27 today. 

America is a bit different from Japan since it is a nation of immigrants from many, many cultures.  It's also very large and spread-out, and very young, in comparison to Japan, where political roots go back 2000 years and cultural roots go back still further.  By comparison, America's political roots extend only 400 years, at most.

As immigrants arrived in the vast and empty America (as they continue to do even today) they brought with them their own cultures, including such things as how and when to celebrate manhood and womanhood.  For many years, these customs only continued to be observed within family circles, and outsiders didn't participate in them or understand them.  In regions where one set of customs predominated, the customs might be observed more openly - sometimes becoming associated with that part of America.  But until the early 20th century, different regions and parts of America evolved separately, and there was no coast-to-coast "American culture".  That changed slowly in the middle of the 1900s, with national radio and television networks, the construction of trans-national highways, and the creation of an internal economy that caused families to move from region to region in order to follow employment.  That caused some of the old customs to be shared more widely, and others to start to disappear.

Today there is no agreed-upon "American custom" for an adolescent to mark the start of manhood.  There is not even a universally-agreed age when a boy becomes legally competent, since that is a matter decided by the individual states.  Some families mark it, but most don't.  Nearly all American families recognize the annual celebration of birthdays (some give gifts, invite friends, and provide a sweet cake - while others do little), but few of them do anything to mark adulthood.  It simply arrives, unremarked-upon.  The passing of legal drinking age is often more of a big deal, but that usually just involves a debauch with friends, rather than a family, culture-based event.

Where I was from, my own coming-of-age, like those of my siblings, passed without any remark since we had no family, regional, or societal custom for it.  But anyway, happy 27th birthday!

Just enjoy the make the day a special day.

• rick

We got drunk and my buddies took me to a brothel. Most towns had a "red light district" of some sort in 1957.

• JJ

My mother prepared a special meal for my 21st birthday

For most in America, it is 21, and most of the time the person will go out with friends to celebrate with a few drinks since it has become legal for them to enjoy that. 

My dad bought me a hooker and some blow 

You have hot sex!

• Rick

I was in Vietnam at the time ...............................