Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Keto or lower calorie/intermittent fastingWhat is a better weight loss strategy?

I'm looking to lose weight but having tried cutting carbs I found myself miserable. So, I'm considering eating a diet of normal food, but keeping my calories lower and intermittent fasting. When losing weight, is it really about easting less calories or is the low carb life style "keto" better than lower caloric intakes?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I think just eating four small healthy meals a day is good. I say healthy because you can always cut calories but cutting out that junk and processed food is what will bring down your overall calorie intake and you'll see results a lot faster if you eat healthy food as opposed to eating unhealthy food or food that is too high in calories. 

• 1 month ago

The most important thing to losing weight is that you are in a calorie deficit, this is what causes weight loss. The best diet for this will be something you enjoy and can stick too, if you do not enjoy it you will not be able to be consistent with it and once you stop eating that way, you would regain the weight.

• 1 month ago

Diet is the key to losing weight. Yes, it's good to get regular activity too, but a diet you can stick to is more important, whichever one that is.

If diabetic, or pre-diabetic, intermittent fasting is key to regaining your health!!!

• 1 month ago

The best diet is the one that you can add to your life style without suffering. Keto has its own issues regarding side effects in the long term, when it comes to losing weight, the most important thing is that you eat in a deficit, AKA less calories than the ones you need.

If you have tried cutting carbs and you found yourself miserable, then clearly that type of diet is not for you.

Source(s): I'm a Dietitian
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Different things work better for different people. I'm NOT a fan of low carbing at all. However, I've found IF (intermittent fasting) isn't difficult for me (I typically use the 16/8 method but occasionally will fast for 24 hrs instead. The KEY is in adopting a healthy eating lifestyle. If you don't do that, then no temporary diet or fat loss method will work for you for long. 

Focus on eating as clean as possible (avoid processed foods) and for fat loss, you need a calorie deficit. Once you reach your goal, adjust your calorie intake and activity to a maintenance level. The calculator at this site     can help you determine about what your daily calorie intake should be for fat loss (or maintenance) so you can then decide if you want to spread those calories out across a typical eating time frame, if you want to use IF and have a smaller eating window for your calories, or do something else. 

Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Here is the calculator https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Weight loss comes down to calories. Keto works for some people because it keeps them full so they don't overeat. Every diet that works for people works by calorie restriction. You don't need to follow any particular diet. You just need to count calories. 

• 1 month ago

It is really about eating less calories. You really can only lose weight by having a caloric deficit.

• 1 month ago

You need to do some reading so that you really understand all of these eating plans and WHY they work the way they do.  Then you pick the one you are willing to stick to and stick to it.

Here are a couple of key pieces of information you need to understand.

1. When you eat carbs (bread, cereal, pasta, sweeten yogurt, hummus, whatever) your body produces insulin to take the glycogen (sugar) to your cells to use as fuel.  Insulin also tells your body to stop burning stored fat and use the sugar in your blood for energy.  Insulin also tells your body that if there happens to be more "energy" than they need in the moment, to store any extra as fat.

2.  It takes a few weeks if not a month to really get used to a keto diet.  

3.  No matter what diet you choose, you will need to count calories.  People who are overweight are overeaters. The question is whether you'll feel fuller eating a lot of veggies with some good fats or if you'll be more satisfied cutting out the fat (due to calories) and eating grains and sugars instead. You can't eat 3000 calories of fat and expect to lose weight.  You need to eat the BMR level of calories for your BMI target weight -- and learn to be well nourished and satisfied within that calorie range.  

4.  Our bodies need vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids.  Technically, we don't have a nutritional need for carbohydrates.  That doesn't mean we can eat them, just that your body doesn't actually require them to survive.  You do need complete proteins and Omega 3 fatty acids.

5.  Intermittent fasting works best with a keto diet.  The whole point is to help your body burn fat (be in ketosis) by not providing it with fuel. If you eat a keto diet, you are much less likely to be hungry, have cravings, or have mood swings.  You can certainly do it in conjunction with any eating plan, but most people who eat a low-fat, higher carb diet simply don't get into ketosis and just are hangry with brain fog when they fast.  

• Fireplace
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Reading is not the answer. Actually TRYING to strategies is the only way to find out if they are effective for you. What works for one person may not work for another. 

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Since you seems to be guessing, I will write a long answer to educate you. You start by stating your height, weight, gender, and approximate age, or look up your BMI yourself and state your approximate body tone.

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

The extent of overweight says a lot.

Intermittent fasting is possible if carefully planned as one day a week, but still has to be coupled with a healthy general diet and calorie approximation when you eat.

A fast of over 24 to 36 hours, varying by person, has your body react and lower metabolism making you tired and sluggish. Diets below 1000 Calories a day, also seem to eventually trigger the starvation response. With that malaise feeling, when you start to eat again, you may stuff yourself with bad food as a craving, and often if you do too long famine, your body wants to store more to prepare for it. A fast makes a good kick to the body and some studies say it does a lot of good, but it takes control. A single two to three day fast, even with the slow down for half of it, and getting sufficient rest and then a healthy diet, can help you live longer, with good results down to cellular level. But again, this is a one-time renewal.

Keto diets are hard to comply to as very strict, limited to about 4 weeks, and best under a doctor's care because the build-up of ketones in the body can injure you permanently. It also needs a followup of a healthy diet.

Advanced studies show it isn't carbs per se, but rather high fat-high carb foods, or high carb-low nutrient foods in excess.

Each year, US News magazine works with experts to rank diets.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

It is not an exact, as much as general diet except in keto which is much more exact.

Superfoods are high nutrient for the Calories. The misconception is adding a few on an unhealthy overall diet doesn't fix the issue. But, looking through these help to get a good to eat list to modify or create your own diet.

https://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/food-drinks...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/303079.p...

There are apps for calorie counts, and you need to estimate what you eat.

Above BMI of 30, diet is critical. As BMI gets lower, exercise begins to be more important. Choosing the right foods, keep your metabolism up, and hunger down, and gives your body the nutrients it needs.

If you review the diets, you should find that salads and vegetables as a base plus good proteins, rounded out by foods that vary will usually be the best path.

Most people who jump around between diets do not understand how things work.

Excess weight is glycogen body starch stored in the liver and muscles, and excess fat. The body starch is 4 Calories per gram and holds water at two times its weight.

If notably overweight, you have 3 to 6 pounds of glycogen excess holding 6 to 12 pounds of water. The first 9 to 18 pounds, depending upon how overweight, typically goes up and down quickly. When less overweight, usually it is a smaller amount.

4 pounds glycogen plus 8 pounds water as 12 pounds total is only 8000 Calories. This works out to say 700 Calories per pound of body weight. Fat is 9 Calories per gram, and holds about 25% water. This is about 3200 Calories per excess pound weight. Dieters see a fast start and then a big slowdown, sometimes called a plateau.

They get disappointed and quit.

Then also, is the exercise. At higher weight, you can damage joints and get hurt. In lower weights, a body gets more efficient and the same exercise burns fewer calories.

Once at only a small to moderate excess fat, you need a healthy diet and exercise, and put away the scale, because it becomes about body tone.

I think I should end here. Learn first, and if you want help, provide your situation and a detail of diet plan, and then you can get specific help.

• Chris
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A diet NEVER ends so you need to lose weight in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life. Maintenance is just another word for diet restriction. Keto sucks, carbs in moderation are perfectly healthy for the body.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.