Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Thoughts on this?

My stepson is 3 years old and when I leave to go to work, I will kiss my husband on forehead or cheek, but don’t know if I need to kiss him on lips. I don’t know how it will affect my stepson because I’m not his biological mother. Should I just continue to kiss my husband on cheek and forehead? 

• Linda

I think you must feel kissing is wrong and if you refrain from this, your child will grow up thinking it is wrong to show affection to his wife when he grows up. Kissing is not the sex act and it isn't like you are doing anything bad in front of the child. A simple short kiss will not hurt a child and it teaches a child what is normal in a married relationship. So kiss and if he asks, tell him this is the way mommy and daddy show each other that we love each other and let him see you being affectionate with each other. This will help him form ideas in his little mind about what is normal and proper and he will have this viewpoint instilled in his little brain and grow up with good values. So don't be ashamed and go ahead and give your husband a kiss on the lips. 

Source(s): Mother to a 37 year old son
  • RP

If you're concerned about the example you are providing your stepson, then change how you kiss your spouse or, if you think it doesn't matter, keep doing what you've been doing. A kiss on the cheek or forehead can be meaningful or minimal, like a peck on the run. If you kiss both, then two kisses are required. Also, there should be a hug in the process, but it's possible to kiss without a hug. Further, do you give your stepson any special show of affection? At 3 years old, that is very important and you may want to start, assuming you haven't been doing that right along.

• Linda

On the lips is best

This child isn't even to the point where he's forming permanent memories yet and depending on how long ago his parents broke up he may have no recollection of them being together. So he'll grow up believing his coparenting model is "normal" (until he gets into school and finds that it's not). Unless your husband's ex is a meddling psychopath prone to looking for reasons to cause drama go ahead and kiss your husband on the lips. It's not like he'll see this as a betrayal to his mother as he likely has no living memory of his mom and dad as a couple.

• Chris

Wow get a life lady.

• lala

KIss the poor baby 

this way he want feel left aside 

Sure and maybe you can give him a goodbye hug :)