Being accused of gross misconduct?

My job entails taking payments and then inputting the payments on a spreadsheet to show which accounts I have took payments for.

I am being accused of gross misconduct as they say for 20 accounts in a three month period, somebody else took the payment or it is evident you didn’t in fact take these payments..

I am currently suspended with pay and have an upcoming disciplinary meeting. 

How can I prove to them I didn’t intend to put incorrect information on the spreadsheet and that I didn’t do it.

Also, should I just hand my notice in prior to the meeting

Resigning before the meeting would make you look guilty, so I can't recommend it. It's not clear to me what has happened. Are they alleging you stole, or failed to document?

There is a setting in most spreadsheets that show who updated it if the computer being used requires a logon. If someone else logged on and changed it, you should be able to tell when the file was updated or modified. If not you are out of luck

Hardly anybody ever intends to make a mistake but 20 in three months is a lot.  I would suggest you give your notice prior to the meeting.

• Sandy

show up and show them how and where you recorded your payments. if this was how the company trained you to do it, then your trainer is at fault. if you did not properly record the payments, then you are at their mercy. 

• Alan

You should absolutely NOT hand in your notice prior to the meeting as that would be admitting GUILT.

You should request the PROOF of what they are accusing you of, and if as you say, you did not do what they are accusing you of, and you can prove it, then you have a case to take them to an industrial tribunal for wrongful dismissal if that is the result at the end of the meeting. 

If you are a UK resident, then I would suggest you seek advice from Citizens Advice who will give you all the necessary information and assistance in this matter.  

• Mark

Don't know. Your job is really a pretty easy one and hard to mess up. Did you have a password on Excel ?