Have you radically changed your career in your 40?

I'm 40 and planning a career change. My partner is very worried because we have a big mortgage and I'll probably have to start from a junior position in the new role. Do you have similar experiences that you can share?

i'm 40 and I am STILL looking for a real job,

one of theses days I will find it, I promise.

• n2mama

My husband did this. Three years ago (in his early 40s) he decided he was burned out in his design career that he had been doing for 17 years, and wanted to walk away and do something else entirely. I told him that I could give him 12 months to clear his head, reset himself, etc., that I could support our family of four for that year. He quit and started teaching martial arts full time (at about 60% of his previous salary). Six months later he tore his ACL and meniscus teaching a class. While going through physical therapy after the surgery, he was laid off by the dojo. He then sat around for about nine months doing absolutely nothing before taking an entry level job paying slightly more than minimum wage at a t shirt shop. He’s been doing that for about sixteen months now.

I am not going to sugar coat this-do NOT underestimate the impact this will have on your partner, because being under that financial burden is really hard. In the last three years I have been angry, I have been resentful, and I have seriously questioned our relationship, because he seems to be completely disconnected from the level of stress he has left me under by not contributing at a better rate. This is far below what he is capable of, but he seems disinclined to do much to change it. If we didn’t have children, I probably would have divorced him by now.

• n2mama

Yes, I am responsible for being supportive and giving him the opportunity to try something different. As for trying to find a better paying job, there are things he could do, but he doesn’t want to work those hours or those types of jobs. I suppose maybe I should take a pay cut to force his hand?

I had to start over at 42 when I was laid off.  Since I didn't want to move, I started over in an entry level position...and I never got back to the salary I had been making, though I stayed in the field until I retired, had less stress and more free time.

Cut back your working hours to 3 days a week and volunteer on the other days in the area you want to work in. If you don’t have kids then why do you live in such a big house. My parents are your age and we have a small house, a small mortgage and go on holiday twice a year. 

• Sky

Yes, and not by my own choice or planning.  Since this is something you're planning, that must mean you're still working your current job, so stick with it and take your time as you make your plans.  Don't leave that job until you have another job already lined up and your plans have been thoroughly reviewed to make sure you're not making a big mistake.  If you have a significant amount of vacation time built up, you could consider using a big chunk of that to start getting into your new career to make sure it's right for you before you leave your current workplace.  Since you have a big mortgage to consider, as well as all the other expenses, this is not a choice you can make lightly.