My landlord is asking me to sign verification papers so he can send them to my doctor for my emotional support animal ?

Can my landlord legally contact my doctor to verify the information. I told him if he needed anything else I can get it for him by speaking to my doctor. Should I sign the form? I’m not sure what to do in this situation. Is he legally allowed to contact my doctor for “verification”? 

if your need is legit, what is your issue.  discuss it with your doc and only give permission for the doctor's office to verify that they did indeed authorize the ESA.

• Athena

He may not have a choice if the house forbids pets in general. He needs to show why YOU get special treatment and I cannot move in with my pet cat.

Yes, he is allowed to verify ANYTHING you claim to be true - your name, your employer, your income, your previous work history, your credit, a criminal background check...and yes, whether or not your doctor says you need an ESA.

No, he can't contact your doctor without your approval. That is why he is asking you to sign a form giving him permission.

If you deliver a form from your doctor directly to the landlord, the landlord does have the right to contact the office listed on the letterhead to confirm that the letter is legit.

Be sure the paperwork is specific about what he can find out and alert your doctors office about the potential request.

Yes, because guess what? People lie all the time.

You can't just say you have an ESA and you get it. You have to have documented proof of need from a doctor. So yes, he can.

Do you want to nit pick exactly what he's "allowed" to do, or do you want to verify the legitimacy of your ESA so that you can have an exception to the pet policy?

Its perfectly reasonable for the landlord to contact the doctor and ask them to verify that they really did sign the ESA documentation to verify that you did not forge a signature just to get what you wanted.

You are asking the landlord to accept your claim that you require an animal in the residence, but your animal is not a genuine service animal. If you want him/her to make an exception, the least you can do is cooperate with a simple request.