Celexa for depression while pregnant?

I’m 20 weeks pregnant and have been very depressed and irritated my whole pregnancy my doctor has prescribed me Celexa.  I just want some honest opinions of if it helped (obviously I know everyone is different) I just feel like I’m never gonna get out of this rut and hopefully can get some positive answers!  

• LizB

I have never taken Celexa, but here's a fact sheet on taking Celexa during pregnancy and breastfeeding you may find helpful. The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) is a highly credible source. 

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/citalopramesc...

When you say "I'm never going to get out of this rut" -- that's depression talking. Depression makes you think it will always be this way, and it will always be bad. 

As for Celexa, I doubt your doctor would prescribe it if it wasn't safe for pregnancy. That said, I suggest seeing an endocrinologist and making sure you're not low on thyroid or something. But take the meds, you can feel better.

The other answer about exercise is correct. Exercise has been shown to help with depression. You should try therapy as well, as that can help. Also look up books on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That will help.

Have you had a blood test to make sure your vitamins, hormones, etc.... are in check?

It’s probably best to not put chemicals like Celexa or other psychiatric meds in your body, especially while pregnant.

In my experience, the best thing that has helped my depression is exercise, even just walking for at least 20 minutes a day. My mood and thoughts are simply more positive afterwards. And seeing a therapist.