John
John asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Will people live longer if they eat animal protein or plant protein?

• audrey

People should eat a balance of BOTH!

• Sandra K

That's tricky. I see on here that very few people know how to do it. 

we all eat and we all die. Doesn't matter where we get our protein from.  Some meat eaters are overweight and die younger. Some vegans live long. It's all about balance and getting the proper nutrition in that our bodies need to function right.

We need both meat and vegetables. Most of your protein is in meat and dairy. Little or no protein is in vegetables, except for beans. But beans only have 8 to 10 grams of protein for a one half-cup serving. 1 serving of fish has about 11 or 12 grams of protein. Red meat has over 20 grams of protein.

If you choose to be vegetarian or vegan, I seriously doubt you will live longer than a meat eater.

• Wendigo

been wrong, regarding plant based complete protein sources, and for over fifty years now. You keeping making such claims, and when you do, those who actually has read scientific documents, sees you either as very ignorant, and/or foolish. 

• geezer

Someone who eats JUST plant protein will live longer

than someone who eats JUST animal protein

.. but even 'meat eaters' eat fruit and veg AS WELL.

It's down to a BALANCED diet.

• Sandra K

You're quite wrong! 

I’m vegetarian but you can have a long life with either because it also depends on your lifestyle. If you have low stress, happy in life and eat meat you can still have long life.

• Michelle1 month agoReport

yes, agree. My grandma ate meat and potato and a veggie for every dinner and lived to 103 and was healthy when she died.

We can either guess or find statistics.

"Will people live longer if they eat animal protein or plant protein?"

How people get their protein, whether it's animal based or plant based, neither are really all that relevant. How long they live is largely dependent on genetics, followed by environment, general life style, and then the individual stress level.However protein is not stored in our body's as protein, but  broken down into the individual amino acids, which can be broken down further, to create other amino acids. Those amino acids can then be used to create what ever protein that's specifically needed for the specific cellular needs of our body's.

However there are some and I see one individual in particular, in this section who states as a fact, that no plant contains protein. Ergo they are claiming that science is wrong. However the specific source of protein is NOT relevant, what is relevant is that the ten amino acids are acquired (it's actually nine for adults and ten for children). It's those amino acids that are the building blocks necessary for human life, and life in general in the case of most life forms.

Edit point:Edited for a grammar issue.

As more of a personal note, I feel in the future, the reference to protein MAY fall away, and become considered an outmoded/outdated term, much like the term complete/incomplete protein. Which has happened with the whole protein combining, of the past. Another line of thought some yet cling to, that's been disproven, and those of that line of thought, are of a similar school of thought that this has to been done, like protein having to come from animal based food sources. It's a I'm right, and science is wrong, because I say so, therefore it is so.

Depends on other factors. For example, excessive  consumption can shorten one's lifespan. In Africa, studies are suggesting that increased consumption is increasing their lifespans.

• Lim Yuan

sorry, meat, it's suggesting that because of it they are suffering less malnutrition related diseases and hence death rate from them is lower. It's an "The economist" article I will try and trace it down it pops up on my fb feed time to time.

• Lôn

No, but it will seem like it!

• Mark

Neither, really, but people in certain countries (the US, Canada, Northern Europe, and Argentina) don't need to eat 3 pounds of meat a day.  (Most places in the world use meat as an accompaniment rather than getting served a big slab of meat on its own.)

• Sandra K

I weigh 120-125 lbs., so I don't need 3 lbs. of meat daily, but Kyojin the Giantneeds more than that.