Does the use of an ethernet cable improve signal quality ?

Want to use this cable between my router and my streaming device , will this improve picture quality ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, an ethernet cable improve your signal quality and speed too because Cable sends data continuously without any interruptions. Ethernet cable is always better than wireless Network.  

• 4 weeks ago

yes it does. Collisions don't usually happen often, it happens only when another system is trying to share the same network source and often under some load

• BigE
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It should.  The way most video over slow connections work is that they throw out stuff that is too late and try to catch up.

So the way ethernet works, it jams as much data on the wire and only stops when it detects collisions.  Collisions don't happen often, only when another device or devices are trying to go full speed, often under some load.  You get low latency.

Wifi can't detect collisions.  It has to broadcast in clean air. So it spends lots of time

ensuring that it has an open channel, between it and the transmitter.  The more clients,

the more negotiation for free air time. Obviously, this slows the sending and receiving of packets, even small ones.  This is the latency factor.  Multimedia is usually smaller packets, not huge ones.  So it is all driven by latency.

• 1 month ago

If your computer or droid has a Gigabyte Ethernet extreme card or similar peripheral and your computer is fast like an Intel I3 I5 or I7 microprocessor or similar then using an Ethernet cable instead of wireless would make your internet device run 10 to 100 times faster providing your internet provider such as ATT or Verizon runs at Gigabyte speeds. Like you are paying them for Gigabit performance and own Gigabit equipment. That's how it works.   

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Using of Ethernet Cables still have significant advantages which are capable of communicating at faster speeds.

3 Advantages of Ethernet Cables are:

Faster Speeds

Lower Latency

Reliable Connections, etc.

• 1 month ago

It will create a better and more stable connection between your streaming device and the router. However, there are other factors to consider, such as your download speed. If your download speed is not fast enough for streaming, then the cable wouldn't really help in terms of speed that much. I always prefer to use Ethernet on capable devices especially if speed is a concern.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not quality but speed.   Wired Ethernet is better than WIFI.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Quality IS speed.   Poor quality causes packet to be resent.

• 1 month ago

I kind of doubt it but it depends on how good what you are using now is.

• 1 month ago

Also, there are times you just can't use Ethernet. ... Assuming it's easy enough to plug the devices in with an Ethernet cable, you'll get a more consistently solid connection. In the end, Ethernet offers the advantages of better speed, lower latency, and more reliable connections.

• 1 month ago

Isn't it obvious?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.