Toilet not filling up, only fills if i do this.?

So when i flush the toilet, the tank doesn't fill up with water. It only fills up when i touch/tap the refill tube in the tank. Or when i turn on the water in the sink or the shower. How is that possible??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

For mine it was the fill valve. Generally you can hire a handyman cheaper than a plumber and this is a common problem so all of the handymen I use can fix.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 months ago

the inlet valve is faulty. My guess is the washer inside the inlet valve needs

replacing .

That would be the first thing to look at 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Dude the handle is too tight.

• 3 months ago

the fill valve is sticky or clogged. on many of these, it comes off for cleaning. you do want to turn the water off before disassembling it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

How is that possible is the only question.  Magic?

one answer

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The float is set too low. The valve in the tank is a float valve that shuts off when the tank fills to the set height of water.  You adjust the height of the float by trial and error.  The old style float valves, you physically bent the brass rod connecting the float to the valve. More modern float valves have an adjustment on them. There are dozens of different styles. If that isn't it, then replace the float valve and fill apparatus inside the tank. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Replace the fill valve and shut off valve.  Call a plumber if you do not know how.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You may need a new fill valve.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.