Can I sue for credit card fraud? ?

Someone got ahold of my card details and spent $8.3k (Australian) on many different online stores. I don't know yet if I'll get all my money back or if the person will get caught. But would I be able to sue my bank for not notifying me that 8.3k was being spent (1 was over $1000, 2 were over $2000, and the rest were between 100-1000 and I wasn't texted or emailed about any of it and it all happened in the same day) and if the person is caught would I be able to sue them (I know they are Australian). I've let my bank know, filed a police report and called the stores and attempted to cancel the orders they made. I'll also be seeing but just want to get an idea of what to expect 

Sue your bank? No. Yes you could sue the person.

• Bruce

You have no grounds for a lawsuit. A lawsuit requires you to prove negligence and have damages. You don't know if you even have damages yet, and your claim of negligence is subjective. 

• ?

Well, you almost certainly wont be able to sie your bank. Thryve got air tight contracts and teams of lawyers to help desl with that sort of thing. And people who commit credit card fraud tend not to have a ton of assets that they havent acquired illegally. You can sue to recover any purchases on your credit card that went through, and that the bank wouldnt or couldnt reverse, but you probably wont be able to get any damages from them, if theyre even caught

You also need to call the card issuer and challenge each charge. You should do that by certified letter with a return receipt or whatever delivery verification the Australian post office uses. .