My employer wants me to take 10 days off over Christmas.?

So in my contract is says im allowed 20 days holiday a year plus bank holidays .

My company however shuts down over Christmas and i have to use some of my holiday, but it does not state how many days holiday i need to save for Christmas, the other employees have told me its around 10 days or whenever they feel like opening back up the company. I have read online that have to give me at least twice the notice for the amount of holiday they want me to have off , so i would need 20 days notice for 10 days off. What would happen if i used 15 days holiday during the year as it does not say how many days i need to save for Christmas then they ask me to have 10 days off over Christmas. So then i would be 5 over, surely they couldn't not pay me the 5 days i had over as i was not given any notice. Thanks. 

• 3 days ago

What you read is BS.  If your company has an employee handbook, read it.  If it does not or does not talk about holidays in it, then don't be telling the employer what they can and cannot do.  Take the holiday when they tell you to.  They have that right.  They also have the right to deny you a holiday at any time.  All holidays must be approved by them.  Btw, since they are shutting down over Christmas,  how the heck do you think you are going to work - when they won't be open?  Thus, the necessity for your vacation at that time.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • OK, then you should take advantage of that and takeoff.

It's ten business days off.   Plan accordingly.

• GTB

Be frugal and save up for the time. Grow up. This is a common practice.

I would do it. That gives you all year to plan which is just a few weeks in elf time. I love being off the week after Christmas

Ho Ho Ho, only 341 sleeps till we come with Santa. 2 or 3 weeks depending on the weather in our Elf time.