Why is my tire pressure sensors always showing low tire pressure?

I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee and two of my tire pressure sensors are showing the pressure is low but when I check the tires they are not low at all. How can I fix this?

I fill my tires to 40 then when I leave work the sensor shows they are only at 30! Yet the tires are not flat or low

Favorite Answer

Firstly the correct tire pressure for your 2016 Jeep Cherokee is 33 psi not 40 psi. You need to set the pressure at 33 psi cold and then recalibrate the TPMS. Your owners manual will describe how to do this. 

The tire pressure sensors in the wheels have batteries in them and the batteries may be low. I'd go to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem if you still want the TPMS system to work.

If it was my vehicle I'd put some black electrical tape over the light and just check my tire pressures once a month with a tire gauge. Repairing the problem may cost you a good $250

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron

Disconnect the fuse that runs this silly sensor

Get the sensor replaced.

• david

It's possible that after topping off the air pressure, you have to reset the TPMS button. In some vehicles, it's in or by the glove box.  You may have to hold it.

The sensors may go off when they are only a couple of pounds low. Over-inflate them a couple of pounds and see if that fixes it.

• CB

Here are some things to try - not Jeep related but some are worth a try - A full system reboot is a pretty good cure for those one-off issues (remove the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes  - per instructions in link below).

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Reset-a-...

• Rick

have to replace the sensor ................................