Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

Do you think many people suffered from depression and anxiety in the 18th century and before that era? Why do people suffer it now so much?

Back then life was tougher than it is now

People suffer so much more depression and anxiety now because we've gotten so much farther away from a natural lifestyle. Our circadian rhythms are all messed up because of electric lighting and electronics, and that markedly decreases the quality of our sleep, which has all kinds of health implications, including mental health. Our food is lacking in nutrients and our diets are made up of processed foods. Our world is now filled with man-made toxic substances that our bodies have to deal with constantly. And we're subject to all kinds of stress that hardly existed in the 18th century, which causes our sympathetic nervous system to be activated much if not most of the time, and this has severe health implications. .

• Prince

Millions of people in the 18th century were slaves and regularly whipped. Millions were serfs and regularly knoutted. Millions were desperately poor. Et Cetera. Yes, they suffered from depression and anxiety. People suffer it now because of things like their children get bombed in Syria, they get tortured in a furka- or pitchfork-shaped building in Syria by human devils. They get burned and thrown off of rooftops, raped and tortured and beheaded by Islamist State, their children get held in cages at the Border, and they get harrassed by gangs in Guatemala. The rain forests are being burned off in Brazil (the Amazon) and Indonsesia, where the last orangutans are being burned alive to make way for cocoa butter plantations. Hundreds of millions of animals are being burned to death in a Dried Out Australia because the Stupid Prime Minister won't irrigate where millions of gallons of river water flow into the sea night and day. Your plutocrat rulers stockpile millions of tonnes of radioactive waste under Yucca Mountain and spend millions on themselves whilst some people sleep in cardboard boxes in alleyways. At least back then, if you could run away from the Rat Race, you could actually stand a chance of hiding out in the wilderness and building a log cabin that satellites and drones would not discover. 

I think people did get depressed because of death being a factor in every bodies life. It is just more dominant now because bullying and we now have cell phone which leads to cyber bullying.

• F

I don't mean to make light of mental health issues, but in the Uk, there are so many ads about it, I'm wondering, do I have any mental health issues when I'm sure I didn't.

I don't think I'm depressed but then i see people with seemingly far more exciting fulfilling lives than me  claiming to have severe depression or other mental health problems and i start wondering.

I reckon that as long as there has been death, loss, hardship, and souls that felt things as draining or crushing, there has been depression. 

• hart

glyphosat is the problem

This era is the mother of all problems, back then people used to live happily with the little resources they had, but now even a facebook post can easily force you to take your life. 

Quite sure they did. Mental illness wasn't talked about in the open in those days and was rarely discussed publicly.

Most people were too busy trying to survive - the natural animal instinct - to have time to worry about not having friends or worrying about what they looked like compared to what others looked like, or worry about what other people were saying about them. They didn't have gadgets and some 'network' to spread this nonsense. And many people in the world today are too busy trying to make a living and take care of their families to have time for the things that First Worlders worry about and kill themselves over.

people who exhibited mental illness in any sense where likely to end up in mental institutions

Everyone has suffered it, but people just used to deal with it, now we whine and whimper