Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Why are suicide and mental illness at "epidemic" levels? Does it have anything to do with the "Social Media" age?

• squidy

Look up Jonathan Haidt on YouTube, he talks about it. And yes, he describes how growing up with social media espcially during middle school really effects children. That, and not being able to play without adult supervision.

I do think that social media contributes to depression because of unhealthy comparisons. I have not been on Facebook for about 8 years now because literally no one commented Happy Birthday on my timeline when I turned 21. I could barely get one like if I posted a photo. I felt so invisible and worthless. I am not alone though- there are a lot of other people that unfortunately share these types of experiences and feel like they can't measure up. Blogs glorify eating disorders and self harm. I do think that it has to do with social media.  

• Zheia

I wouldn't say it is at epidemic levels, it's just that people are more aware of it. 

Unfortunately Social media enhances the problem to an extreme.  These issues of suicide and mental illness have always been an epidemic. I can think of several topics Social media brings to light. Social media can be a good tool to help many issues if it's utilized that way. 

Yes. Definitely. And cellphone and Wi-Fi EMF radiation have already been scientifically proven to cause cellular damage, endocrine disruption and other biochemical changes which lead to anxiety and depression.

And then neurotoxic Big Pharma psychiatric drugs are prescribed by psychiatrists for profit motives only which make these issues worse instead of better.

Psychiatry, incompetency and malpractice of those in mental health ‘industry’ in general,  and neurotoxicity and ineffectiveness of psych drugs ironically are all factors as well. And other things like diet, lack of exercise, breakdown of the family, technology in general, spiritual impoverishment 

Some reports suggest that social media plays a big role in self-destruction and committing suicide.

• Andy C

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!

The silent scream of the ones who know.

It's drug companies,  social media in its infancy,  but primarily it's our diet (more appropriately the immense amount of poison in our American diet...that we spread throughout the world like a plague).

The truth doesn't change with anyone's opinion!

And you thought it was just obesity!

Source(s): "The Hacking of the American Mind" by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D, M.S.A, a pediatric endocrinologist turned alarmist. Yes. Alarmist bc imminent destruction warrants alarm, don't you think?
    • atomic fireball

I don’t know much about Lustig but from briefly googling him he seems to be a big critic of sugar. That’s not really controversial because it’s already been documented through medical studies how much damage sugar does to the human body and  brain. 

i dont think social media has anything to do with it

• Andy C

I think you are wrong about that.  One of us has evidence to back their claim...

yes i believe so. its a constant comparison, an illusion, young women and men struggle with their self esteem, seeing constant reminders of photoshopped images of perfection. I struggle with this myself

It's very complicated as there are a lot of contributing factors.  One of which is that drug companies are very actively selling cures to only very minor illnesses and then those numbers get pumped up by drug companies encouraging doctors to prescribe their drugs.  There are real cases that need treatment but there are A LOT of borderline cases that get diagnosed just to maximize drug company profits.

Take ADHD for example, is there really such a spike in mental illness, or are they just diagnosing it more in order to sell more drugs like Ritalin and Concerta.  Again there are real cases that need treatment but a great many borderline or even fabricated cases that are diagnosed simply to sell more drugs.

• atomic fireball

The United States and New Zealand are apparently the only two countries in the world where such direct-to-consumer “ask your doctor” type ‘disease-mongering’ advertising is allowed. Just another example of how this country is being destroyed by corporations. The brainwashing is masterful.