Why don't more homes have rooftop decks covering their rooves/roofs? Not only do they provide cool places to hangout and have a barbecue?

They shade the roof and keep the house cooler in the summer.

So why aren't they more common?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

We have snow here sometimes 3 feet deep. The roof is at an angle so it slides off.

If I had a flat roof or deck the weight of snow would probably cave the roof in.

Sure have a deck if you never get snow. If you don't get rain I wouldn't bother with a roof either.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Guessing Tornado alley?  Now I see what you are saying.....stairs  Windier than hell, cold as heck when it is raining.  I got a veranda and that just does me fine.  Don't need a place for a chopper to land.

• 8 months ago

people who want the roof deck are a small percentage of the pool of home buyers,,the basic house,yard,some green space surrounding,a garage for the gas polluter,almost all want these,,if you desire a special addon,, get an architect to draw up a plan, and a house roughed in,work out the price with the builder

• 8 months ago

Many roofs have trusses or rafters that won't support the weight of a party or hot tub.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

cost.... and poor design with no option to add

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

The cost would be astronomical. The structural support needed to hold the weight of the deck alone would be massive then you factor in load on deck.  If your in area it snows it be able to hold the load of a max snow storm in that area.  Plus how much of roof you talking?  Because decks aren't cheap at all by the sqft.  

There definitely neat thought had a friend had a studio in a old building downtown top floor an he had a deck on the roof with a hot tub.

• 9 months ago

these are impractical in any area subject to possible snow. the roof is pitched to cause snow to [mostly] fall off ... thus keeping the weight load down.

• 9 months ago

there are many answers ...your neighbor dont like being overlooked ..so you would need planning ...you wont get it ...safety ..after a few drinks who knows?  the roof would need reinforcing ..and you cant sell it ...

• 9 months ago

Your reasons are contradictory. If a roof top deck was cool, it wouldn't need to keep the roof cooler.

In fact it would HINDER heat escaping from the house through the roof. If your roof is allowing heat IN, you have serious problems with how it is made.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Try selling a house with one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.