Francine asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

"Petite", what does it mean exactly ? I'm french and when i read in english, i often encounter this word. In french, it means just small.?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It means small, but, often with a connotation of delicate added.  Like a person can be short, or small, but, if they are also delicate, they can be petite.

• Quentin
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It is usually used for peas being small.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In fashion, it means SHORT (5ft 3in or less). You can be "petite" and fat. Just look at the "petite" section in any store.

In common conversation, it usually refers to someone small and delicate.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Small, usually in reference to woman's clothes or figure.   Petites  turn me On....

• 1 month ago

To me it means small and I seldom use the word

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It doesn't mean small

It means not tall, not fat, not full of muscle, not big-boned

Source(s): dutch/NL
    • noname1 month agoReport

It Dose mean  Small, Tiny even. A woman/s dress  size, 

• 1 month ago

In French, petite is the feminine of ' petit ' and it means: small, but not only. 

For example we can say about someone who is not smart: '' Il est petit '' for a guy / masculine. 

In feminine: '' Elle est petite ''.

For say a little boy / a little girl, we also use the word ' petit / petite '.

Ex: '' Un petit garçon / Une petite fille ''.

In France petit / petite doesn't mean ' cute '.. 

• 1 month ago

"petite" means more than "small"  in English, it also has a sense of daintiness. The French word has come into English at least twice. "petit" meaning "small" arrived with the Normans and became a word in Middle English. The English word "petty" as in petty officer, petty sessions, is derived from it. "petite", the feminine form, arrived in the 18th century and was used with its current meaning but can be used in that form with either sex.

• zeno
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Thin, tone, in very good shape over all.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It unofficially means small and cute, not just small. 

But its also a type of small where everything is unusually small. If someone is normal height and bone structure but are very thin, they are still simply small, not petite.

• 1 month ago

It means the same thing in English. I believe the word is originally French, and has been adopted by the English language to mean very small. For example, in women's clothing sizes, the very small sizes are under the "petite" category.

• Francine
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yes, it's a french word.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the English language, Petite means delicate. That is the way we use it in the US. I know that for instance in France, you use that word as a connector, such as in the statement, 'Petite Mort', roughly translated to 'small death. It just does not have the same meaning for us. So there are different uses for the same word from country to country.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.