What was Picasso's downfall?

I'm writing an essay inspired by John Berger's book the Success and Failure of Picasso where he states:

'The harm done is that he has been prevented from developing. and this has happened because he has been deprived of contact with modern reality. To be successful is to be assimilated into society, just as being a failure means being rejected. Picasso has been assimilated into European bourgeois society - and this society is now essentially unreal.'

Can anyone help me understand what Berger means by 'this society is unreal'? 

• Lili

I strongly suggest that you read more books about Picasso than Berger's. There are many.

Berger was very nearly a Communist and therefore had a jaundiced view of Picasso's success and acceptance by mainstream society.  There's a place for Marxist art criticism, but Berger isn't my idea of a good example of it.

Picasso didn't have a "downfall," except possibly in the personal sense, in that he was constantly attracted to new women and then constantly getting bored with them, and he treated his children in a problematic manner. As an artist, though, he was VERY successful, even though his art became less innovative and experimental over time.  Berger probably saw that as a failure, as reflective of a sort of pandering to mainstream tastes.