Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

What if I did this prank at the grocery store?

Say that I walked to a local grocery store (So theres no license plate number on camera) and found a good hiding place so I'm in there after the store has closed and the staff has left. 

Then I go to the laundry aisle and pour all the liquid laundry detergent on the floor, causing the aisle to be covered in a river of detergent. 

I go to the beer aisle and smash all the beer bottles on the floor. 

I go to the eggs and break all the eggs on the floor. 

I go to the cereal aisle and dump all the cereal on the floor.

I go to the soda aisle and dump a river of soda from the 2 liter bottles on the floor.

I go to the sugar and flour aisle and dump all the sugar and flour on the floor, then open a bunch of cans of libbies pumpkin and dump it on top so its not easily vacuumed up.

I go to the produce section and peel the bananas then smash all the melons on the floor like Gallagher. I pour motor oil over the rest of the produce on display and do the same to the meats and poultry.

I go to the coffee aisle and pour ground coffee all over the aisle floor.

Then I let myself out through the door or fire exit, setting off the alarm but I'll be gone before the police get there.

Fingerprints I leave behind are no problem as I've never been arrested so I'm not in the system, meaning they have nothing to compare them to.

Cameras aren't a problem because I walked there, so they don't have a name to go with the face.

Lol what kind of investigation would come of that?

You could find yourself in a lot of trouble. Security cameras are all over the store and can track your movements inside. Some patrons can film your antics with their smartphones and upload them online. This is where the police can track you down and arrest you for your actions. The store can also legally trespass you, effectively banning you from their premises permanently.

• Ann

Ah, this sounds like Jacob Nguyen again.  He hasn't posted on this particular forum, as far as I know, but he's always on Society and Culture, posting under People with Disabilities.  He claims to be, variously:  autistic, bipolar, schizophrenic, transgender, and having a female alter ego.  He is always fantasizing about swimming in apartment swimming pools in a Hello Kitty bikini, buying wedding dresses and marrying someone from Vietnam, filming people in elevators, sneaking out at night and playing "ding dong ditch" in his neighborhood, and lately, he's been watching re-runs of a t.v. show, "Burn Notice".  Now he's wanting to rob banks, and he's appealing to people to give him money to buy a gun.  He's 30 years old, lives with his parents, he's unemployed, and he's a total screw up. Evidently, he's gotten into trouble with the local police where he lives (in N. Carolina) with some of his antics, and he's made threats against his neighbors, a therapist he was assigned to through the courts, and the police. He spends a lot of time on the internet with his insane rants.  People shouldn't even respond to him.  If I knew how to report him so Yahoo could permanently ban him by tracing his IP address, I would do so. Don't encourage him by acknowledging his fantasies. 

Local grocery stores that are not open 24/7 can be searched in less than 5 minutes and there is NOWHERE to hide. Besides, with the doors locked, you can't get OUT without a key. In less than the time required ot do what you say, they can get police form the next COUNTY to respond to the alarm triggered by the motion detectors.

I almost forgot. If you made 1/10th of the mess you propose, and actually got out, they could follow your footprints to your house.

Some establishments actually have facial recognition capabilities.  Let us know how this goes for you.

Lets assume you were able to do all of that-

First off- All grocery stores have MULTIPLE cameras, it would show footage of you destroying the store and its contents! You won't be able to turn the cameras off, because the button to do so would be hidden, only security would know how to access it.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you have never been arrested, they still can trace your fingerprints! Once a baby is born, they have their finger/foot prints taken, and from there that IS put into the system and once the police use the fingerprints found in the store to the ones in the system, they will identify and locate you.

Don't be so cocky here! You will be found, you will be arrested, and you will face serious jail time if convicted.

Security would have jumped you before you got to the second aisle.

Id not bother doing it.

You can't let yourself out through the door or fire exit. They chain them or lock them some other way, in part so that someone can't stay in the store after closing and steal stuff. Sometimes, someone breaks into a business, discovers they can't get out, and calls the police to come rescue and arrest them. If you don't do that, then you're still there when someone gets there to unlock in the morning.

You'd trigger a motion sensor in a matter of seconds. The cops would come and take you away.  You'd be responsible for any damage you did in the meanwhile, of course.  And for trespassing, malicious mischief, maybe a few more things.

Get professional help.