will i receive jail time?

So here’s what happened. I was working at Target, and I ended up making a bad decision, and stealing $1,000 in promotional gift cards. I was obviously caught a few days later, and was arrested and charged with Theft. I spent my night in a holding cell, and in the morning when to bond court. I was released from jail on an $10,000 I-Bond. I had a scheduled court date towards the end of December, and there I found out I was indicted, which basically means that Target presented their evidence that I basically committed the crime, to a grand jury, and they decided that they have sufficient evidence to prove I did it. So I have another scheduled court date on Jan. 24th. I am unsure on what’s going to happen, but the last thing I want to do is serve some jail time, from my experience with the holding cell. I have absolutely no priors, just some speeding tickets. I am currently in the process of getting another full time job, while in full time school, with a wife and child. I would obviously explain this to the judge if possible. I want to hear from any law experts on like my likelihood on serving jail time? So what would be a worse punishment in this situation? Does anyone think they would drop the felony charges to a misdemeanor? Last thing i want is a felony charge, and then i would struggle finding a job for the rest of my life. Just wanted to throw this out there. If anyone has any questions, please ask them, if they further help come up with a possible answer. Thank you !

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

you probably will and i would stop stealing if you dont want to go to jail

• ricky
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What state did this occur in? In Texas $500 to $1,500 is a class A misdemeanor. Up to 1 year in prison and/or a $1,000 fine. With a good lawyer and no previous crimes, probation is possible.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your punishment is inversely proportional to the price of your attorney. The more you pay him, the less time you will serve. About 2 times the bail bond for a first offense will keep you free and on probation. Cut down that payment and it increases your risk of jail time. Attorney's are paid before they argue your case.

• 4 weeks ago

I doubt the prosecutor would agree to drop the felony charge, so if you are found guilty (which you will be) you will have a criminal felony record

Consider yourself lucky you were not charged with embezzlement

As far as time behind bars go, I would be discussing that with your attorney (as you should with the entire charge), but you could get up to a year in Prison.  Good chance  You will pay a pretty good size fine.

Why are you not asking your lawyer these questions

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The best you can hope for is house arrest, but that doesn't look good since you don't have a job. You're getting a year for grand theft. Start thinking about good behavior and hope to get out in 7 months. Talk to a lawyer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.