will i receive jail time?

So here’s what happened. I was working at Target, and I ended up making a bad decision, and stealing $1,000 in promotional gift cards. I was obviously caught a few days later, and was arrested and charged with Theft. I spent my night in a holding cell, and in the morning when to bond court. I was released from jail on an $10,000 I-Bond. I had a scheduled court date towards the end of December, and there I found out I was indicted, which basically means that Target presented their evidence that I basically committed the crime, to a grand jury, and they decided that they have sufficient evidence to prove I did it. So I have another scheduled court date on Jan. 24th. I am unsure on what’s going to happen, but the last thing I want to do is serve some jail time, from my experience with the holding cell. I have absolutely no priors, just some speeding tickets. I am currently in the process of getting another full time job, while in full time school, with a wife and child. I would obviously explain this to the judge if possible. I want to hear from any law experts on like my likelihood on serving jail time? So what would be a worse punishment in this situation? Does anyone think they would drop the felony charges to a misdemeanor? Last thing i want is a felony charge, and then i would struggle finding a job for the rest of my life. Just wanted to throw this out there. If anyone has any questions, please ask them, if they further help come up with a possible answer. Thank you !

you probably will and i would stop stealing if you dont want to go to jail

• ricky

What state did this occur in? In Texas $500 to $1,500 is a class A misdemeanor. Up to 1 year in prison and/or a $1,000 fine. With a good lawyer and no previous crimes, probation is possible.

• Edwena

Your punishment is inversely proportional to the price of your attorney. The more you pay him, the less time you will serve. About 2 times the bail bond for a first offense will keep you free and on probation. Cut down that payment and it increases your risk of jail time. Attorney's are paid before they argue your case.

I doubt the prosecutor would agree to drop the felony charge, so if you are found guilty (which you will be) you will have a criminal felony record

Consider yourself lucky you were not charged with embezzlement

As far as time behind bars go, I would be discussing that with your attorney (as you should with the entire charge), but you could get up to a year in Prison.  Good chance  You will pay a pretty good size fine.

Why are you not asking your lawyer these questions

The best you can hope for is house arrest, but that doesn't look good since you don't have a job. You're getting a year for grand theft. Start thinking about good behavior and hope to get out in 7 months. Talk to a lawyer.