Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Do people wonder why I associate myself with her?

I hang out with a 65 year old woman and I'm 25. When people see us in public, are they wondering what a 65 year old woman is doing with a 25 year old? And there is no way we can pass for mother and daughter because she is black and I am not. And I am light skinned. 

When people always see us together, do they think, "Isn't that girl supposed to be hanging out with girls her age, not old enough to be her grandmother?"

They might not realise you're 'hanging out'. There are countless reasons why two people with no obvious connection might be together for a coffee or a walk or whatever. She might be a teacher, or your probation officer, or a friend of your mother.

The simple fact is that while people might idly think, 'I wonder what their relationship is to each other', they won't spend more than five seconds wondering and will have forgotten about you five seconds later.

PS: This is really not an Etiquette question. Move it to 'Friends'.

• Daisy

I doubt these people are giving you and your friend much thought.   If someone asks "Are you mother and daughter?"  You can answer truthfully,  "No, we're very good friends."   That's all you need.   Perhaps the people you are concerned about actually see 2 people getting along and enjoying each other's company.    Good for you!

I think the bigger question is, why do you even care what people might be thinking about Who Your Friends Are? And as such, anybody who thinks it's odd that you have an older friend, should be minding their own business anyway.

I have never, not even once in my life, saw two people together and wondered why they were together simply because of their age.

Carry on.

i dont think they think anything of it

Why does it matter?

• denise

I agree, I have friends of all ages.

Believe it or not, 99% of people who see you out and about with your friend are NOT taking any notice of you at all

If you are gutsy enough to be totally unconventional, you need to be gutsy enough to not care what other people think. A true iconoclast disregards the opinions of others and follows her own conscience.

• Cathy

I don't spend time wondering about what people are to each other when I see them in public together. You could be relatives, could be friends, I really don't care.

friendship is good. the women might be lonely without you. there is a song called i'll be a friend to Jesus. it is a good song. when we do what is right in the eyes of God it doesn't matter what others think of us. what matters is that you have made a friend who loves you for you and nothing can change that. Thanks for the question.

Probably.

But I'm the same way.

Probably, think you're co workers or something.

When you work with people, age never matters.