Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 months ago

Is this appropriate?

Do you think it’s appropriate for a 6 year old girl to listen to rap music with cussing if her mom lets her. I am the step mom by the way 

• Elsa

Well,children nowadays are used to hear such words- and even worse, for that matter- at nursery school already, so at 6 years old it is normal for them.

Of course, however, you have all the rights to not let her listen to those songs at your house,if you do not like them. 

You should talk to her about it,by telling her:

-I know you like those songs, but i personally do not.  So,you can listen to them when i am not around.  It is very disrespectful forcing the other people to hear music they do not like. Thank you.-

At 6,after all,she is old enough to start learning the concepts of boundaries. 

What is really important is that she learns that ,just because the songs say such thing,this does not absolutely mean that they are appropriate,and that it is wrong saying them because are part of a vulgar language. She may get in trouble at school of the teachers hear her.  So,it is important that it is important not repeating those words.

• GB

You can ban it in your house, but you can't control what happens in her mother's house. You should discuss this matter with her dad.

Well parenting wise It's definitely bad parenting since she's only 6. It's one thing for a 12 or 13 year old to listen to it ( after all kids that age hear similiar or even worse things being said at school). But this is completely inappropriate for a 6 year old to listen to reguardless of what genre of music it is.

• dumb

Even one year olds listen to it now. Why wait till six?

I would not put up with this disrespectful behavior.  You have rules in your house and stay within the boundaries.  Somebody has to be the roll model for high standards that will last a life time.

All you can do is disallow it at your house and explain why. Do not put the mother down. Say people have different rules in different houses, and part of being a big girl is to honor each person's rules.

Don't bad-mouth the mother or you will pay, eventually. Tell your husband to set the rules in the house. Don't get in the middle.

Source(s): Raised 2 stepdaughters One hates me because I divorced her dad, and one is one of my best friends for the same reason. I was the "play-nice" mother. Their dad disciplined them, never me.

You make rules for your house. If you dont want them listening to it, you and their father discuss it and make a rule. What they do at their mums is nothing to do with you.

• sarah

Maybe not, but I know tons of kids who do this and turned out just fine. Me and a lot of my friends listened to inappropriate music growing up, and the general rule was that just because you heard it on the radio didn't mean it was okay to repeat (not even while singing along in the car). So, as long as the kid isn't running around cussing out her teacher or something, I don't think there's an issue.

You would be more believable, troll if you didn't ask this three times.

• Brian

I feel sorry for your daughter if you get your parenting advice from YA.