Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

What can you pair with cheese pancakes that is NOT sugar-y or meat?

I grow up eating pancakes with sugary jams and whipped cream for lunch/midday and want to start becoming more healthy and remove sugar from lunch and midday meals.

I tried a different type of pancake that's is a hybrid between cheese omelette and pancake (like the pic below), but taste more like pancakes, but taste a bit bland on their own, So any suggestions what to pair with them beside Jam and Meat?

Although I'm not vegetarian/vegan, I'm not a fan of ham/bacon (or any meat) as I prefer eating eggs, chicken and seafood.

Sauteed mushrooms in garlic and butter drizzle over and top with chopped scallions or parsley.

Fried chicken patties and a smidgeon of maple syrup. To me, this sounds like an improvement on Chicken and Waffles. I can almost taste it, and it tastes good

• Linda

What about whipped cream and diced nuts? I have done that before and it is a delicacy that I think many people would enjoy. Give it a try sometime?

Source(s): Healthy cook

Salad .................

• C

Slice mushrooms and a very little finely minced onion or shallot.  Sprinkle over a pinch of salt to draw out the juices and stew down with some butter and/or olive oil.  Stick a lid on until the juices start to run and you won't need much fat.  Add a sprinkling of thyme or ground coriander, and pepper to taste.  Adding a splash of wine or sherry is no bad thing.  Either reduce until nearly dry or sift over a little corn starch/flour (the white slippery stuff) to thicken it for a saucier accompaniment.  Use more mushrooms than you think you need as they cook down to almost nothing.  Very good with all savoury crepes and pancakes and pairs brilliantly with cheese.

Look up Yotam Ottoleghi's recipe for muhammara.  It's a kind of red pepper walnut dip.  When the red peppers are in season and sweet and fleshy it is the best!

I'd also bet that your pancakes would go well with ratatouille.  

And if you add some chopped fresh herbs in your next batch it would be just lovely with smoked salmon.  I'm imagining it with a dollop petits pois or broad/fava bean dip to glue it in place and add a dash of colour.

• denise

How about a nice salsa / pico -de -gallo?

Also I like coleslaw with omelettes or quiche [which are egg based].

Try something like ketchup or hot sauce on them.

Nut butters. You can get them without sugar ir reduced sugar.

Grilled vegetables with spices.

Grilled seafood

Spaghetti sounds nice

Ketchup, Tobasco or Sriracha sauce?  Salsa?

Slice of tomato, onion and avocado?  You could use two of them and make a sandwich.   

Pancakes reheat pretty well in the toaster.