Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 8 months ago

Why does the metal recycling center want my driver's license and take my picture each time before they give me my money.?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

It's because occasionally people steal materials that arent theirs and if the recyler gets a claim of theft, they'll know who bought it in. People like to tear copper wiring out of vacant homes and air conditioning units or stuff from construction sites. Sometimes materials have codes on them to match them up

• zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

People steal metal to sell, so this place is protecting itself encase you took this metal illegally, they have a record and can send police to your address if they fine any hot metal in what you sold them!

• Fred
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

In central U.S.A. we have center pivot irrigation systems with a great deal of copper on them to power an electric motor on each tower some as long as a half mile long.  Organized groups of thieves cut and sell the copper cable off of working irrigation machines at a very great expense to agricultural producer to replace copper cable and the labor to reinstall it.  

Various States enact laws to trace sellers who steal actively used copper and sell it for profit in an attempt to catch and prosecute an act of theft.   

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

you need to ask them this question

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

To identify you if you sell them stolen metal

• 8 months ago

Incase whatever you are selling turns out to be stolen.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.