Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Was I wrong to let my nephew go on a ride alone?

So I went to the fair with my mom and my two nephews and there was a ride that needed two people. Me and one of my nephews went together while my other nephew went with a stranger. 

So when the rides done the nephew that went with the stranger was sniffling and crying and hugging my mom and my mom was scolding me and the other nephew for letting him go with a stranger. 

My nephew claims that the man he was with was “scary” because he was cursing during the ride and had tattoos all over his body. And my nephew was just making a huge deal out of nothing honestly, people curse. 

My nephews are 10 by the way

Yes. The standard for this would be to send the two kids together then if you're going to go onto the ride you sit in front or behind them with the stranger.

i think your mom shouldve gone on the ride with your other nephew

• Carmen

A wise person sees danger or should and protects themselves and their love ones period especially from strangers on the ground or in the air because as mentioned it only takes a second to touch a child inappropriately or scare a child for life riding a ride period with a stranger or anyone hollering etc that you are not familiar with ride or no ride especially a young child it .ight not be a big deal to you as a grown up but don't under play it for a child it's was a unwise unloving irresponsible decision you made why didn't you go by yourself and kept the boys together since your mom wasn't riding rides also? Live and learn would you have allowed your child to go with a stranger period? Treat people like you want to be treated .

I think your nephew has a lot more to worry about than a tattooed cursing stranger. He is imaginary, and the person making him up is a troll..... and a pretty lame one, too

You were 100% wrong, don't even try to justify this!

It doesn't matter that he was 10, the fact is you let him be alone with a stranger! You don't know what the guy was capable of, he could have physically attacked your son, sexually molested him on the ride, he could have kidnapped him, hell your nephew could have wound up seriously injured or even dead because of your stupidity! 

His mother had every reason/right to scold you! You could have put your nephew in serious danger, be very lucky that nothing happened to him! You have demonstrated you aren't trustworthy, and if your sister were smart she would not let you be alone with either of your nephews ever again! 

I also want to lay some blame on your mother here too, because she quite frankly ****** up almost as bad as you did! She too knew the rides required 2 people together, she knew you were with 1, she should have either a) gone on the ride with one of them or b) said none of them could go on the ride. As much as you are to blame so is she, she needs to take ownership of her stupidity in this as well.

I'm an uncle myself, and I would NEVER leave my nieces or nephews alone un-attended (either inside or outside)! All it takes is for one second for a "nothing situation", to turn into a dangerous one! Hell I'll give you a recent example to show you how it SHOULD be done:

My niece who is 2 came over yesterday (she loves to explore), anywho she thinks its a funny game to go down to the basement, close the door and shut the lights off and hide. My basement has a lot of objects she can run into, or fall on her etc! Did I stay upstairs and let her play her game? Nope! Instantly I walked down with her and she was told to keep the light on OR she was going upstairs, she was given that choice by me! At 2 they are very capable of understanding things, she decided to march her behind upstairs, smart move, because she could have run into a table/had glass fall on her etc.... again, all it takes is 1 second for it go from "nothing" to "something"

You have a lot of growing up to here.