Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Proper amt of salt in diet? Drs can never seem to answer this q when I ask. Also confusion about diff in amt of salt and amt of sodium?

My grandfather was told he has a low sodium level and to eat more salt, which he thought was odd, bc he thinks he eats more than adequate amt. I always feel like have eaten too much salt, but still keep eating it bc don't want to eat too little, am unsure of proper amt and nobody seems to know. Also a few yrs ago when I tried to completely reduce salt and eat at least 500 mg worth sodium through food instead, there was no apparent difference in blood test results. Just saw a chart that recommended over 5000 mg a day, never heard that, thought it was always 2500. 5000 seems a bit extreme, although probably doable if someone eats a lot of junk food

• Logan

The maximum safe intake of sodium is well established at 2300 mg per day.  500 mg is a safe minimum daily intake of sodium.  Sodium is not only found in salt (Sodium-chloride) but also in most foods including vegetables.  One tsp of salt has 2300mg sodium.  One serving of fresh spinach has 65mg.  A balanced diet with no added salt that avoids canned goods, baked goods and processed foods will be in the 500 to 2300 range.  Besides contributing to high blood pressure, consuming high amounts of sodium can also lead to stroke, heart disease, and heart failure.

• k w

throw out the normal table salt, no balance, taste himalayan pink salt, it's delicious, I think any studies on that are not public, cuz they make money of ignorance, and fear. I don't remember where I seen it, but somebody questioned it like you, but he found out that taking salt actually lowered his blood pressure, and if you ever tasted your own pee, you'd realize just how much salt the body needs/uses per day...and as disgusting as that may seem, there is a therapy that uses your own urine ! look it up on amazon ! Anyways I don't trust them, the protocols they use on folks to hesal them, are written to maximize profits, not healing ! and to verify what I read I asked moms doctor and he admitted that to be true. I suggest you do many searches, especially alternative healing and ask that same question, then use your gut to decide, many call the gut, our 2nd brain...best wishes....

The body is self regulating. You can eat as much salt you want. If you get thirsty, you drink water and that's all. 

Everything else is a holocaust pharma business lie. 

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day and moving toward an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

• Stella

I can't speak about exact levels but most people get more than enough without trying.

As for your grandfather he may be on a medication that tends to cause his sodium level to drop.  This happened to me as well with a hypertension medication.