Public sleep rooms for everyone?

i heard a few years ago about a place where people colund go & sleep just by coming. there were no booking or like hotel. it took groups that would sleep. it was a big room with beds ready for each group to sleep there for a few hour.  i remember that it was somewhere in Europe and in a city. does any one knows that place and where is it?? I like to visit strange places and plans to go for a long journey and explore all European countries. if anyone knows where that place is please send info to me :) Have a nice day

• John

About 20 years ago I saw an article about such places - I believe they were Japan. Catering to business people, not really backpackers. Rent-a-bed, basically. I never have heard of it since.

• John

That would be the local paper - the San Francisco Chronicle. Their website is www.sfgate.com.  I'm not kidding about the 20+ years ago part.

That sounds awful

Sounds like most hostels