Is it wrong for an individual to ask for crowdfunding support?

I have never done this before but I am considering doing it as I have heard about people having success crowdfunding. But, if I'm being honest, I feel a bit nevous incase people think that I am begging and manipulating donations by pulling on peoples heart strings.

What is your opinion on individual crowdfunding? Is it an unethical way to get financial support for something you can't afford on your own. And should this type of funding / donation only be reserved for people needing some kind of health / medical financial  assistantance. Or someone seriously suffering fiancially with poverty.

I'd appriciate it if you guys could tell me when you feel it is acceptable for someone to decide to start a crowdfunding campaign.

To explain why I'm considering it.... There is a very sad story behind why I need financial help because I've had a personal problem (nothing serious) that I have endured for a very VERY long 26 years. After 26 years of waiting are now over, I now need to start saving as much money as I can to reach my final destination. Unfortunatly, this will take me another 5 years of saving as I work a minimum wage job. 26 years was a long enough wait and I can't bare waiting another 5 years. That's about as much as I can tell you before I post the campaign.

All you can do is post the campaign and see what happens. People use crowdfunding for all kinds of reasons, and if someone finds the reason offensive or unacceptable then he/she doesn't have to contribute, simple as that. You won't hurt anybody by starting your own. 

We all need help every now and again and without knowing the details I believe that if it's a medical situation or some money needed after a tragedy oh, it's okay to ask for help.

I know somebody who went on the GoFundMe page asking for help for medical bills. I donated $200. A couple of weeks later I noticed a Facebook post of this person showing off their new tattoo. I felt like an idiot. 

If there is serious financial hardship where you need help with a funeral, to rebuild a house or for a medical emergency, I think it's ok. For a holiday, wedding or a new car then I don't agree. I don't know how you can authenticate it because people can make up stories.

yes-I think it is wrong to beg for money for yourself.  esp. when its a "not too serious" personal problem, and you just want money faster--not something I would EVER give a nickel to.

you can try it and see what happens

Yes it’s manipulative!  It screams scam and fake neediness

Many of us have sad or difficult lives & don’t beg for money via crowdfunding.

All those questions will be considered, and answered in different ways, by the people who see your appeal. Those who think it's immoral and unethical won't send any money; those who don't, will!

Not your problem; it's up to them.

20 years from now people won't be judging whether or not you sourced crowdfunding, but WHY you did so.  Was it to serve some selfish desire or was it for a legitimate reason, and had you exhausted other sources.  The vagueness and air of your question makes me believe your "final destination" is more likely an attempt to fulfill a selfish desire, with a plan to attempt to manipulate donor's out of sympathy.  Basically a con job that is purely self serving.  Trust me, it will not be forgotten and will harm your reputation the rest of your days.  It is just that people on the bottom rung of society tend to not care about their reputations because they don't see themselves ever rising from the bottom rung of society.  Sorry to be so blunt. 

It's a job some people are good at.

Why not? If someone wants to send you money, go for it!