What's the best way to secure guns at home?

Mom gave me a gun, I'm an adult now, but we live with a problematic person who's my brother, I mean, he's not a bad person, not a thug, not a drug addict, but has some issues, I thought of a vault but are more expensive than the gun itself, at least on Amazon. How do you secure your guns? :-)

Favorite Answer

Trigger lock, barrel lock and ammo locked up separately

Gun safes and trigger locks are what you need to keep guns out of your brother's hands.

Posting this is so foolish - you are concerned about a "problematic person" in your household, concerned enough that you are asking strangers how you can safeguard your gun.  You have liability issues which you obviously have never considered.  Amazing.

Right, he's not a bad person, not a thug, not an addict, he's just your every day "problematic" person with mental health issues.  What could possibly go wrong in this situation?

You're an adult.  Pack up your gun and move out.

I have pistols.  I have a gun safe.  I have no "problematic people" in my household.  Purchasing a safe in MY State to safeguard the pistol is part of getting the permit.

Again, foolish, foolish thing to post.

• Mike L

I leave them in the wide open because guns don't kill people and they are safe.

You should keep it somewhere, where he won't look like under your bed or hiding it in your closet, if it were me i'd also put a lock on the closet door if he is that bad, if it is a handgun then you should apply for a concealed carry permit then you can keep it concealed on you or in your car.

Dont look for a vault, get a gun locker. They are not that expensive.

• Kieth

A vault is expensive, what value do you put on your family? I have two vaults, one large that weighed 1500 pounds empty, and a small handgun vault that is bolted into the wall. Vaults that are easy to move are easy to steal, a gun is dangerous and needs to be secure. If you can't lock it up, partially disassemble it and keep the parts well hidden. If home security is an issue, keep the gun on you.

• Goerge

I'd buy a used vault that you know isn't easily compromised. Problematic people like him tend to be smarter than most in certain situations. If a gun vault isn't an option I would buy the aforementioned locks but be 100% certain they are good locks. I've seen way too many locks that aren't made by gun makers. They have flaws which can easily allow the gun to be used. One of the more memorable was one for a AK-47 which essentially just blocked the slot for the magazine. The trigger guard was useless because many of those firearms are designed to be used with gloves meaning the trigger guard's bottom was removable allowing the lock to fall out.

In short I believe a vault is the best option because it removes all possibilities of an accident as long as he can't pick or crack it. Sometimes investing a little extra is worth it where a GUN is concerned.  

The situation is completely dependent on your brother and the severity of his "Issues" . 

You lock the gun in the safe, you have the combination, he wants the gun, he will get the combination from you if he wants to. 

Happened in my old neighborhood decades ago. A guy locks up his cash, but didn't lock up the kitchen knives too. His brother wanted the money, he got the money, and the guy is missing his money and part of his ear. 

• American Boy

His issues are mental ones

Gun safes or trigger locks are the only ways to go.