Advice for a hoarding family member?

hello I am needing a little bit of advice. I took in my grandmother because her house is unlivable. her electricity barely works, she barely has running water, her stove doesn’t work etc. she has decided to go back home and live. Shes got a taxi cab coming for her today I can’t really do nothing about it because I don’t have guardianship over her....nobody does. If she does end up going back home should I call adult protective services or is there any other organizations that I can call for help I’m just worried about her well-being but there is only so much I can do 😐


She is 77 and I’m from oklahoma

4 Answers

  • 8 months ago

     Your grandmother needs a professional guardian.  I would contact adult protective services and have them coordinate with you a court hearing to appoint a guardian.  Some states permit a family member to be a guardian but that's not a good idea due to the emotional attachment.  The guardian can then take steps to clean up her house or move her.  Google "professional Guardian" (not guardian ad litem) in your area and talk to them first.

    Source(s): Wife's a professional guardian.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Your grandmother is mentally ill which is why they hoard, why they pick 'stuff' rather than family, so your grandmother needs help, medical mental health you do not state where in the world you are it is impossible to sign post you to statuatory organisations or charities who deal with mental health issues.

  • Susie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Can you,  along with other family members,  get together and talk to her? Does she, combined with all your help,  have the money to repair her home?  You didn’t say how old she is.  The clean up and repairs could be overwhelming for her alone. Maybe if you all agreed to help, she would agree to do something.  Make sure you tell her that you love her and want her to be happy and healthy.   Good Luck. 

  • 8 months ago

    If you are in the US, contact the Health Department in the county where she lives. They will have counselors who can assess the situation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.