Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Am I a bad mom?

My daughter who is 9 months was in the bathtub and I was sitting right on the floor keeping my eye on her the whole time. She put her arms out of the tub and I didn’t realize she was trying to pull herself up on the side of the bathtub until she did and she slipped and fell backwards. I was right there to pull her back up but you could see in her eyes that she was frightened. I feel so bad that that happened.  she wasn’t all the way under water but she was halfway under water and I got her before anything else happened to her. I feel really bad and she’s fine now since I changed her and am feeding her. 

Not a bad mom, but now you know how slippery babies and bathtubs are...I would invest in a tub ring or seat for her to bathe in at that age.

You learn as you go...  so now, stop noodle whipping your self.  Go buy some peel and stick tub decals to help with her stability cuz I can guarantee she is going to try lots of things.

No sweetie, you are fine, things happen and as long as you are there then you are doing good.

• PR

New Moms learn lots of things, but it would be suggested you stay right over your daughter after this. In other words, don't just sit by the tub, but actively play with her, hold her, etc. Then, you won't just happen to notice she tried to pull herself up. Also, the water should not be more than a couple inches deep.

There are devices to help hold a baby up in the tub to keep them safe, but they would definitely not substitute for being RIGHT THERE with the infant. People do lots of things that they worry will cause permanent harm to their children, but things are O.K. The bath tub is the place to be very careful, so you have now learned that you CANNOT only sit there. 

Look at this and look up: supports for baby in bath tub.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/summer-in...

All the babies in the blooming bath seem quite happy, but it would be very easy for a baby to fall off the sink!

https://www.bloomingbath.com/blooming-bath-lotus.h...

• LizB

Little ones have bumps and slips and falls, and more of them the more mobile they get. Your baby was startled, but she'll be all right. Don't beat yourself up.

Truly bad parents rarely worry about whether or not they are bad parents.

You are a normal parent who had a scare, and learned from it.

You are not a bad mom everyone makes mistakes and learn from them

• Suzy Q

In future remember to hold your baby in the water. Always. 

• Dr. D

No, that doesn't make you a bad mom. It only makes you a frightened mom. Nine months is young to put her in the tub, and they make baby bath seats, and bath rings, to help support babies that young in the tub. 

I suggest you invest in such a product. 

• Suzy Q

Such products mostly give a false sense of security. It makes parents think it is okay not to hold their baby in the tub. 

You a bad lady and mam