The humming sound that only I can hear. What is it?

My husband and I bought our first house together in May 2019. We lived about 500 yards down the road in a rented place fir 10 years prior.

Since moving in to our house though, I've been able to hear a whirring/humming sound that fades in and out. It's almost like a vibration. It's not permanent, but I can hear it quite frequently. I can only hear it when it's quiet, or if the TV is on low. If we open a window, I can't hear/feel it anymore until the window is closed again.

I'm the only person that can hear it! My husband can't, and neither can anyone that visits.

It drives me nuts!

The house was built in 1950's, it's a semi detached, we live opposite a school and down the road from a railway line. It's not trains, I can hear them passing by.

Any ideas what this could be? Or does anyone else experience something similar?

I don't know only you can hear it. I can't.

It could be a water pipe or even an electrical line that is vibrating against something when it's in use.  Quite often you have to walk around just listening for it.  Good luck finding it.

That's actually the BLACK HELICOPTER which has been watching you .. 

This is louder in the airing cupboard? Then it's the water pump.

lots of low level sounds that this could be. One rather serious one is bees building a hive inside the wall -- all it takes is an opening not even the size of a medium coin to let them get into the space between the outer wall and inner one. Find a handyman who can hear and have him search.

Hint: putting the handle end of a large screwdriver up against your ear and then pressing the pointed end up against various objects in the house improves your ability to detect sources within those objects. Try this on the heating unit, all ventilators [over the stove?], any exterior walls, outlets in exterior walls [but not on the actual outlet -- just the cover late], and then the various windows.

It is possible that what you hear is merely the low level rattle of a window that doesn't fit too tightly ... and opening it stops the rattle.

Source(s): granddad

When you're hearing it, try turning off everything, one at a time, to see if it goes away. Could be fridge, freezer, charger, oven, heating, light bulb, anything that involves electricity and/or a motor.

It's not that unusual for people to hear things that others can't, our ears all work differently.  For some reason I hear our air ambulance coming some time before anyone else does (it flies over here en route for the hospital).  Nobody knows why and it's become a family joke.

If you still can't isolate it I'd suggest consulting your doctor, you might have something like tinnitus.

Aliens making contact.  looks like you've been selected for a probing.

• Droopy

Can't promise this is it but had a customer same situation she heard humming no one else did. But where she said it was the loadest was right over the gas furnace in the crawl space.  I moved the 24v transformer to the outside unit an she didn't hear it anymore.   

But it could be anything that power runs threw or you might have tinnitus which probably would be easier to go get checked than running round house trying to pin point it 1st make sure its not your ears.

Walk around and see if it appears more intense in a certain spot in your house than another. It could be a light bulb, a wall power brick, ducts, etc. lots of potential causes, you just have to hunt it down. Unless it is tinitus. then it's you.

It is the refrigerator pump vibrating.