Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 8 months ago

Will I be looked down on if I smell bad?

I shower and clean myself before going out, but continue to smell. I cant tell if people are disgusted and hate me being around. Or if it doesn't bother them, and some people actually might like me as a human.?

• Ann

A person's odor is not something that can be ignored. If you still emit a bad odor after cleansing yourself, then either it's what you're eating, or there is a dysfunction in your body that needs to be checked medically.  Do you use deodorant?  What kind of soap do you use?  I would recommend that you use an antibacterial soap, such as Dial, and an unscented deodorant.  Make sure your hair is clean and shampooed as well when you shower. Also, make sure you brush your teeth after meals.  If you eat a lot of spicy food (garlic, onions, etc.), those odors will come out through perspiration and your breath.  Try eating bland foods for a couple of weeks, make sure you're clean inside and out, and if the odor persists, go see your dr.  

• Mj

Yes. SCENT is not something that can be disregarded. 

people who were raised well will not say anything. you might notice them holding their head up high in an attempt to get their nose further away from you if you truly do smell. I've been around some smelly *** people in my life but I've never mentioned it and try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they just have unlucky genes and sweat that smells worse than average, not that they are gross or dirty.

I play shuffleboard with a man who seems to be clean on appearance, but his cloths always smell bad. It really makes me move away from him to avoid his unpleasant odor. He smells like he wears the same cloths over and over again and is not aware of the soiled odor of his clothing. I don't have the type of relationship with him that would give me the courage to tell him so I just move away from him whenever I get a whiff. So take it from a tortured victim, that it is rather unpleasant to be alongside a person who smells bad.

• Expat

Have you tried using deodorant with antiperspirant? If I don’t use it I stink to high heaven by noon after a morning shower, but deodorant with antiperspirant keeps me smelling perfectly fine all day till the next morning. 

no.not at all .

Try different soaps and shampoos, and change your diet a bit.

• Nunya

Are you putting on the same clothes or clean clothes? Maybe you need to change your deodorant? It could also be that you have poor eating habits? If you are overweight then you will sweat easier and smell bad faster. I would ask a friend or loved one to smell you the next time you think you smell bad. Another free trick is to take off your shirt when you think you smell bad and smell the pits area of your shirt. If it smells bad to you then you smell bad. If you are really concerned then perhaps you should go see a dermatologist.

I doubt anyone would hate you, but some people might be a little bit bothered, particularly the women folk. If showering + soap doesn't cut it, and you are using deodorant, it could be your clothes. 

FYI, diet plays a big role in body odor.