What should I do about McDonald's sending me home early almost every day?

I have worked at McDonald's for 6 months now and still get sent home frequently when labor is high and business is dead (little or no customers come in). I work for 4 hours each day on the weekends which is probably the lowest paycheck in that store. Yet I have been getting sent home early almost every Saturday since December. I always show up on time and work hard. The issues with this is 1. Pay 2. Expecting 4 hour shifts and only working 1-2. 3. Its pretty much always me and only occasionally someone else. I don’t think this is fair and their system is flawed. Finding another job that would work around my ride and her schedule is difficult so thats why I haven’t been able to quit easily. Should I tell the managers not to and give good reasons or what? This boils my blood. 

Some states, including mine, require a minimum of 4 hours pay for any time worked. You might want to check on whether or not your state has this in effect.

Ask for more shifts, see if you can switch out with another employee.

It makes no sense for a business to have more employees on shift than they need, so you need a workaround on THAT, before you can expect more hours. Let your co-workers know you can pick up their shift.

• Eva

Look at the wage and hours laws for your state. In my state, they can't just pay you for 1 or 2 hours. There's a minimum number of hours they must pay just because you came in. How can they send you home if there's only 1 or 2 of you working?

• anonymous4 weeks agoReport

I never said there was one or two of us working, theres actually 15 to 20 most days when i’m there. 

• You should be more worried if they're sending you home when it's busy. Sending people home when they don't need the extra staff is quite common. Unless you're able to view other people's hours, you don't know that you have the lowest hrs or pay check. Don't expect any thing with regards to scheduling, if the business is unpredictable then you can be sent home early. You should be working when you're available to work, you shouldn't depend on some one to drive you tow work all the time. Take the bus if you have to or ride a bike. You should ask your boss why they're always sending you home early, and if there's any thing you can do to stay longer or get more hours. . 

• Judy

Maybe you're not as fast as the other people, or you make more mistakes.

• JR

Maybe you can volunteer for other job duties when things are slow?

Something about this isn't adding up here. You say you business is dead on a Saturday? I'm having a hard time buying this! Usually in the restaurant industry Saturdays are one of the busiest days of the week, given the kids aren't in school and not everyone works weekends. Are you sure your not being forthcoming about the real reason? Is it possible you are messing up on the job and management is fed up to the point they are cutting your hours? A little transparency and honesty goes a long way here!

Now, lets assume on the off chance you are being truthful here~ If a business is losing money, they are going to slash costs where they can (ie reducing the number of staff, limiting hours, cutting back on certain products, price increases etc) to make a profit. There isn't anything you can do here, if business is slow, management can and will reduce your hours! No amount of begging/pleading/self-justifications are going to get them to increase your hours while business is slow.  You have three choices here 1) Stick it out and hope business improves 2) Stay on, but also pick up a 2nd job on the side 3) Decide you aren't making enough money there, and quit.

I work at a restaurant and we have been slow as hell business wise since September! Everyone's hours (including mine) have been slashed, we are making changes to product (ie no more plastic cups/lids) etc, to make a profit. Am I ticked off my hours are slashed? Yes, but I also understand the reasons(s) behind it, and I don't take any of it personally, to this day I still work there.

• Ding Dong

That too yes. Once they put a 17 year old girl in charge of scheduling at one I worked in, she messed it up terrible, they didn't have her doing it for long so maybe I was in a good one but other restaurants don't care probably.

As an employee who hasn't been around long and has a severely limited availability, you're just not that valuable. They're going to take care of the people who've been there longer, and the people who can work ANY hours first.

"Flexing" employees is fairly common in any line of work where business fluctuates. I'm a nurse, and we sometimes get sent home or canceled when there are not as many patients as expected.

You can express your disappointment, and respectfully ask if there's anyway you might be able to stick around for the scheduled time, but they might say no. If that happens, weigh your pros and cons and decide if the job is worth it.

Start with:

Con: it might be impossible to find another employer to work around your schedule leaving you with NO job and NO money

Pro: You're gaining experience and seniority, and your circumstances may eventually improve

• Ding Dong

Corporate does dictate labour policies when it comes to law. Yes they let franchisees have their own terms but they still can't break law. 

I don't think there is much you can do about it. You should try harder to find another job. I don't know your situation but fast food can and will be like this. If you can get away from it you should. You may have to make some sacrifices. I wouldn't suggest trying to fight the company because you think their practices are unfair. This could lead you into becoming fired which is worse than quitting. 

You're supposed to say no if you don't want to go and they can send someone else, if you agreed to the shift and you want the money tell them you're not going, they are asking not telling. The way they say it sounds like they are "you can go now" or similar but reply to that with a no thank you.

Source(s): Was a McDonald's employee.
    • Ding Dong

Then raise a grievance because that isn't regulation. I worked in two different ones and we could decline in both.