How to get rid of horrid cat smell in home? ?

tenant before me apparently had 4 cats and did not clean the cat box for about 5 months!!! I know this because the previous tenant was my stepsister and our parents rent it out to us. she is disgusting and the entire apartment reeks of cat urine. the odors are so strong when you walk in. I have cleaned the hard wood floors with vinegar and baking soda but it still smells just as strong. I really need to get rid of this smell and replacing the floors is not an option. anyone know of a product that legitimately works? all the furniture has been removed from the apartment. It’s 900 sqft.

Cat urine odors are going to last forever unless you replace the wood floors AND subfloors. Once cats have urinated in a spot, that smell is going to last.  Enzyme cleaners can help--but you can't let enzyme liquids sit on a wood floor for long, or it will warp the wood. Your ONLY option is to replace the wood. 

If the cats did NOT pee on the floor itself, and the smell is still lingering, then wiping down EVERY surface with an enzyme cleaning solution can help. You can air out the room if you can open the windows. You can sprinkle lots of baking soda into floor boards and corners, then vacuum it up after a few hours--and then CLEAN YOUR VACUUM out! Then repeat until the smell is gone. 

I will tell you though--if there is ANY urine on any surface, you need to either replace it or be able to soak it thoroughly with enzyme cleaner until you get rid of it. This will be almost as expensive for you as replacing the wood floors in the long run. 

this is more than an unchanged litter box--once the box goes, so should the smell----sooooo I suggest getting yourself an nice little blacklight flashlight (amazon) and a nice huge gallon bottle of Nature's Miracle---turn the lights off and find all the areas the cats sprayed and peed...they will glow..treat each one with Nature's Miracle--really let it soak.  I know this stuff works--my aunt moved into a house where there were 13 cats--no one would buy it---but she knew all about cat odors and how to get rid of them (she had 9 cats and her apt never smelled)  and yup--after soaking the floors with Nature's Miracle and repainting--no more smell.

Your only hope is a complete remodel, right down to replacing the subfloor. it'd be easier to move.

• Ann

You need a product made to eliminate pet odor by neutralizing the enzymes, Products like Nature's Remedy, check at your local pet supply store and don't buy the cheapest one they sell

Borax, which is sold in the laundry detergent aisle, works so much better for neutralizing urine smells than baking soda!

Cats spray everything - so you need to as well. It is not just the floor but walls and woodwork up to a metre high at least. Febreze is effective at neutralizing cat pee.

Maybe the smells coming from the walls, have you scrubbed those too? If the house is bare, and you've cleaned the floors with that stuff, the only reason I can think of it still smelling is that the smell seeped into the walls. Just dilute some cleaning liquid into a bucket with hot water and splash it everywhere. Scrub everything down. Then give yourself a break because you need it.

• Wendy

There's one called Urine Off I've not tried the feline version but the canine version works really well

You do need to replace the floors. The only thing that might help, beyond that, is to flood the floors with enzymatic cleaner specifically created for cat urine.

I don't think there's anything that's going to help 100%, though.