Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Can I get scammed for this?

I was driving my sister to a near by store and pulled up to a parking lot and was waiting for her. A driver approached me telling me that I scratched the side of his car and they honked at us. But we both didn’t hear anything or feel or hear any sort of bump at all. He said I could come check it out. I tried but this lady was telling me that it’s fine and that it was just a little scratch and nothing big and told me to leave. My sister came out and she saw that there was nothing. We left as they told us to and they followed behind us and I got suspicious and told my sister to take a picture on the side they said was “scratched.” Can they scam us for a hit and run? I’m 100% sure something was off because the guy approached me from behind my car when their car was in front of us.

They were scam artists.

People run all kinds of scams like this - I've found the best bet is to whip out your phone and start recording.  Most scammers will GTFO.

One of my neighbor's friends parked their car on the street across from my driveway (illegally) and I bumped into it when I was backing out - not even hard enough to break my plastic bumper.

She came running out and claimed I had 'damaged her door' - which did indeed have a big ol' dent in it.  I said 'you think I did that?' and she said 'yes - you did that'.

I pointed out to her that the dent had rust in all of the creases - and had obviously been like that for a looong time.  She kept stammering nonsense, so I pointed out that she was parked illegally, and that she needed to move her effing vehicle.

YES YOU CAN. A lot of people get scammed like that.

Sounds like a scam to me. Really, I would call the police!

• Jay P

I would have asked to see this scratch and for the person to tell me which part of my vehicle hit their vehicle.

If there was nothing on my vehicle indicating fresh contact/scratch that they claim hit their vehicle, I would say they are mistaken and I would leave.  If there actually was fresh damage on my vehicle I know wasn't there before, the person could be right and I would resolve it with them.

• Erik

I would have asked to see the scratch before leaving.  If there's no scratch on your car, there's nothing to worry about.