Safe haven babies?

I'm looking into adopting a safe haven baby but i have no clue where to even start. I had read somewhere you can sign up to get a call when a baby is left in a safe haven location, but i have no idea whats true and whats not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You would start be becoming a licensed foster parent.

That is the only way an infant placed for adoption through the Safe Haven law would be available for adoption - through the state.

The chances of getting an infant through state adoption is not high, but there are many older children who are legally free for adoption but living in foster care who do need parents.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
    • This is not true for every state, although it may be true for many of them. In Illinois, for example, the infants are turned over from the state to private adoption agencies for placement.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Safe Haven babies are put in state care the same as any other baby who is put up for adoption. There is no place to sign up for Safe Haven babies where ever you are getting your info it's incorrect. If you are interested in adopting the best place to start is your local foster care system. Contact your local child services and ask for info on becoming a foster parent this way you can adopt through the county. This way is usually cheaper and faster than using an expensive agency. If you want a newborn though the wait can still be years depending on where you live. A family member of mine was recently told the wait for a newborn is about 6yrs.

Source(s): friends & family have adopted through local foster care
  • 4 weeks ago

You heard wrong

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Despite what people believe, competition for adoptable, healthy newborns is intense. Even with ideal social and economic circumstances, you could wait tens of years ...or never be selected, at all.

Look at the foster care site for your specific state to get started. These babies are not simply adopted by "whomever" when they're dropped off. Social services gets involved, and family members have the opportunity to take them in ...in some cases, family might even be the second parent who was unaware of the child being abandoned (or existing).

While these things are being sorted out, the baby is placed in FOSTER care. And since there's such a demand, in my area, children under age two usually only spend a few hours at the facility getting processed in.

After that, they go to one of many pre-approved, waiting households. And they may be available for those families to adopt, eventually.

***The process may vary by state.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I would start looking locally....there are no universal laws regarding adoption.😉

• kim w4 weeks agoReport

I know that. Im just wondering if you still have to go thru adoption agencies with these babies or how it works

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.