Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Are girls taxed at higher tax rate for the exact same product than boys are taxed?

A feminist in a recent answer stated this calling it a pink tax

• Favorite Answer

I think its more the observation that womens shampoo and stuff like that costs more... of course this raises the question: if the womens shampoo isnt a better product then why not use the cheaper 'mens' shampoo , and if it is better then why shouldnt it cost more.. 

"Female" products aren't taxed at higher rates, the argument is that as necessities they shouldn't be taxed at all. But men's razorblades, aftershaves and body washes are taxed the same as pads, tampons and menstrual cups. Speaking from the city with the highest sales tax in the nation I can tell you that EVERYTHING carries too much tax here. The real "pink tax" is that it costs more to dry-clean a blouse than an oxford and a women's haircut (even a short one with clippers) is always at least twice as much as the same for a man.

You ever see anything about a person being a male or female on a sales tax receipt? You ever see anything about different taxes for males and females on an income tax form? 

WHY HELL NO.

Do women pay more for hygienic products? 

Yes. 

Is it an unfair tax businesses are passing onto women simply because they are women? 

No.

I recently bought a new electric razor and noticed men's electric razors cost considerably more than women's electric razors. I decided to buy the men's razor because it looked like it had more advanced technology for a better shave. Did the consumer market decide the price of that razor or was it the matriarchy? 

I think this refers to markups on women's versions of products that both men and women use, i.e. shaving creams and razors or something. This is something I've noticed sometimes (but not always) while out shopping, that buying the men's version of what is essentially the same item has saved me money in the past.

It's similar to packaging diphenhydramine as an allergy medication and repackaging it and marking it up as a sleep aid to take advantage of rushed, uninformed consumers.

I think gender is only tangentially tied to it, i.e. in my previous example pink razors costing more than blue razors despite being cast from the same mold on the same equipment, and more just taking advantage of lazy, stupid shoppers who impulse shop rather than compare products for better value. I think labeling it "sexism" is disingenuous when labeling it "capitalism" or "stupid tax" would be more honest in many of these cases.

It probably means more like that there are services/products exclusively for women that cost more than regular ones. In that case, it’s more like the women being too stupid for choosing them at all.

as many have stated, it's not a literal tax. but things do cost for women, even hair cuts. I am a woman. I have a man's hair cut. so why then am I charged more than men are for the EXACT SAME HAIR CUT? there is no difference in my haircut and the haircut that men get, because again, I have short hair and always get a men's haircut. and yet I pay an extra $5 for nothing more than being a woman. that is wrong.

• amy

I have long style cut and dyed hair. It use to cost me cheapest just over $200. I thought **** paying for it when I can do it myself. My hair still looks great for me and all its costs is the products I use. Style cut = $0. People are lazy.

• Elana

First off, no, in the US, women pay the same thing for the same products as men do.  If anybody can come up with a counter-example, please post.

That being said, there are products marketed to women that are comprised of exactly the same base product as other products marketed to men, but they pay considerably more.

Consider that women will pay more for shaving lotion (which they typically use a lot of) than men do.

Why?

No, it is NOT the same product as men use, though the functionality is the same.  However, it comes in pink packaging and it may have a scent.

Women will pay more for this product because it makes them feel special.  It's marketing magic, but (as is typical of marketing magic), it is WORTH MONEY to the consumer.

The "pink tax" ultimately is a marketing paradox.  If the product didn't cost more, if it wasn't packaged differently etc etc, it wouldn't drive female consumers to it as well as the next product which did.

There is a VERY simple counter argument:  Buy the male equivalent and laugh all the way to the bank.

If you want to pay for the marketing, if you want to pay for the hype, go for it.  But it's the consumer making the decision.

By the way, for better or worse, using a feminized product may well increase your confidence and that might be worth it to you as a woman.  On the other hand, using such a product may make you feel used and silly.

• DKG

Often the 'pink' version of a shampoo/shaving lotion/deodorant or other product uses much more expensive active ingredients, perfumes and colours (an even pink is *far* harder to get right than an 'even enough' navy for example - tens of times the cost of the materials or more.

"Are girls taxed at higher tax rate for the exact same product than boys are taxed?"

Absolutely not.  That would be illegal.

The “pink tax” is the cousin of the "gender wage gap", and is promoted in the exact same deceptive way.  The “pink tax” is based off of the claim that female branded products cost more than male branded products, leading to the claim that “women pay more for the exact same products as men".  But it is NOT a comparison of the exact same products and never has been, just like the "gender wage gap" is NOT a comparison of the same job, at the same company.

https://bongino.com/is-there-a-pink-tax/

Quote from the link:

"An obvious question to ask is, “if women are paying more for identical products, why wouldn’t they just purchase the male equivalent?” And that question alone explains the pink tax. Even the NYC study had to admit that’s the main limitation of the study, that “Men’s and women’s products are rarely identical, making exact comparisons difficult.” Just because two products are similar does not mean they are identical."

.

• Eva

Not taxed, but charged more. Drying cleaning and alterations for example. There also used to be sales tax on tampons and pads, but many states have eliminated that. The sales tax for men and women is the same rate, it's just the products that it applies to.

• Lili

Hairdressers charge women more even when the cut isn't any more complicated than a man would get.  And yes, drycleaners do this, too. I pay more to have a blouse cleaned than my husband pays to have a shirt cleaned.