Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 months ago

Were atheists really persecuted in the past by religious people?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Favourite answer

Until recently, it was extremely rare for atheists to ADMIT they were atheists. Atheism would have been considered an extreme form of either heresy or apostasy, and for long centuries, these were punishable by death.

However, most heretics and apostates had SOME sort of religious belief, even if it was not orthodox. True atheists were usually few and far between, and they weren't talking about it.

So, we can't say that a lot of atheists were persecuted, because people were not running around calling themselves atheists.

• Diogenes
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

I was a public atheist during high school and will never make that mistake again

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • James
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

In the past? Atheists are persecuted even today.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Not that I know of. I don't see how they could have been. Presumably if they were going to be “persecuted” for being atheists they just wouldn't tell anyone?

• 3 months ago

You should pray to your god so he makes you less ignorant . That was funny .

Prayer  doesn't work and adds ignorance - That's not funny 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mack
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

There are laws on the books now that prevent atheists from holding office....

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

They were tortured and killed as heretics for centuries.

• 3 months ago

“I'll tell you what you did with Atheists for about 1500 years. You outlawed them from the universities or any teaching careers, besmirched their reputations, banned or burned their books or their writings of any kind, drove them into exile, humiliated them, seized their properties, arrested them for blasphemy. You dehumanised them with beatings and exquisite torture, gouged out their eyes, slit their tongues, stretched, crushed, or broke their limbs, tore off their breasts if they were women, crushed their scrotums if they were men, imprisoned them, stabbed them, disembowelled them, hanged them, burnt them alive.

And you have nerve enough to complain to me that I laugh at you.”  ― Madalyn Murray O'Hair

In a lot of the world at present, persecution of atheists still exists.

• 3 months ago

Atheists became 'victims' from the 

very first moment that Christ-based faith originated. 

Early Catholicism was its own judge, jury, and dictatorship 

and its punishments were beyond measure and survival. 

Atheists suffered greatly. 

• 3 months ago

We  still are, haven't you looked at R&S recently? Fortunately in civilised countries with good education standards, atheism/no religion is accepted and welcomed and is increasing rapidly to the betterment of everyone.

• 3 months ago

Yes. They're still persecuted today, but they were also persecuted in the past. 

• 3 months ago

Yes, atheists along with anyone else considered a heretic were tortured, imprisoned, and executed on a regular basis. Only those with a strong need to deny history because it doesn't fit their beliefs about themselves could pretend otherwise.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.